Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VCMC feaured in today's Province News(8th June 2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VCMC feaured in today's Province News(8th June 2012)

The fabulous Alexandra Straub published a great article on Autox and VCMC in the Province today (featuring Uncle Joe), pick up a hard copy!

Drivers are lined up at the starting gate.

They're anxious to get on the circuit. They've been studying the course, preparing themselves throughout the day and are ready to compete.

The green light flashes and the first car in the lineup enters the track.

The objective? To race against the clock, vying for the fastest time in the vehicle class.

The next car is only let on the track when the other is a safe distance ahead.

The type of racing going on? Auto-cross. The host of the event? VCMC Motorsport Club.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Autocross...#ixzz1xEj6knYQ

Photograph by: Submitted, The Province
    2012-13 President, 2011 Rice President, 2010 Director of P????graphy

1994 Accord EXR - 2006 - 2008 (RIP), 2000 Civic SIR - 2008 - 2011 (Sold),
    1992 Integra LS - 2011 - 2012 (Sold), 1994 Miata R - 2012 - 2017(Sold)
    1980 Crossle 40F 2016 - present

Re: VCMC feaured in today's Province News(8th June 2012)

Now my wife will think that I go to races to hang out with hot blondes instead of spending time with my cars.
    "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

Comment

Re: VCMC feaured in today's Province News(8th June 2012)

Look like the article is not available online anymore. Here is a copy.

Autocross is a great way to compete, and learn, in a controlled setting
      Pushing yourself to the limit

BY ALEXANDRA STRAUB, THE PROVINCE JUNE 8, 2012

Alexandra and the 2012 Honda Civic Si at the VCMC Motorsport Club autocross event.
      Photograph by: Submitted , The Province

Alexandra with Autocross champion and VCMC co-founder Joe Cheng.
      Photograph by : Submitted

Drivers are lined up at the starting gate.

They're anxious to get on the circuit. They've been studying the course, preparing themselves throughout the day and are ready to compete.

The green light flashes and the first car in the lineup enters the track.

The objective? To race against the clock, vying for the fastest time in the vehicle class.

The next car is only let on the track when the other is a safe distance ahead.

The type of racing going on? Auto-cross. The host of the event? VCMC Motorsport Club.

The club (www.vcmc.ca) was founded in 1982 by Sam O'Young and Joe Cheng to help promote and support the motorsport community in British Columbia. Those goals are still relevant today.

The club hosts various autocross events throughout the Lower Main-land (April-September and can have up to three events a month), along with track days, road trips, social events and more. They also host the Velocity Driver Development Program, which is a hands-on autocross school to help improve driving regardless of the vehicle that you're in.

What is autocross? It's described as a low-speed, high-transition, time trial event through a course set out with cones on a large paved area.

The purpose? To compete against other vehicles in a controlled setting (and have a blast doing it), and also to learn valuable car control skills.

"The car control skills are really useful for everyday driving," says VCMC president Derek Choi. "It helps you know what you should and shouldn't do when the car is getting close to the limit.

"Also, it helps you get used to looking ahead instead of just five to eight feet in front of you."

As mentioned, the cars run one at a time, so you're really only racing against the clock when you're out there.

Furthermore, if you veer off course a little, you might hit a cone or two (keep in mind, any knocked over cone will cost you two seconds), but the damage one can do to their vehicle is kept to a minimum.

And since there is quite a wide variety of vehicles that attend the VCMC events - anything from BMWs to Porches to spec MX-5s to race-ready cars - competitors only compare times with those in similar cars.

How close can the times be? Often, results are judged to the hundredths if not thousandths of a second. Every second counts, literally!

Who can compete in autocross? Anyone with a car (excluding minivans, vans, SUVs and trucks). No vehicular modifications - i.e. a roll cage, racing seats, specific brakes, etc. - are required to get out on the circuit. Just put some extra pressure in your tires, make sure your vehicle is in good mechanical order and you have a valid driver's licence (even 16-year olds with an "L" can join, they just need someone over 25 who holds a class 5 licence in the car with them). The vehicle can be straight off the dealer lot, straight out of the tuning shop, or both.

And by both, I'm referring to the Honda Civic Si, the 'tuner' version of the No. 1 selling vehicle in Canada for the last 14 years, which just happened to be my ride for the event.

In preparation to autocross, I bumped the tire pressure up to 40 psi, made sure my tank was full, brought my helmet and proper shoes (closed toe) and a 'winning' attitude. By winning, I mean an attitude ready to learn a little bit more about the Si's handling dynamics, put it through the pylon paces and try and beat my time each round.

Its precise steering coupled with a sport-tuned suspension allowed me to weave through the obstacles with minimal body roll. Smoothness is key.

Harnessing the 201 horsepower from the 2.4-litre, i-VTEC engine came through the fabulous close ratio 6-speed manual gearbox. Gear throws are short and effective, especially when you need them to be.

I could have done this all day!

Typically, drivers have about four to eight sessions on the course to improve their time.

While some might think a parking lot full of cones isn't fun at all, think again. When I saw my time improve by seconds, even a thousandth of a second, it made me want to go out even more, push a little harder and see just how capable the car and driver can be.

But regardless of the time posted on the digital readout, participants were thoroughly enjoying themselves, chatting with other drivers and admiring some of the fine machines on view.

All in all, a dreary Sunday after-noon turned into a fun and eventful one. Besides, it's hard to com-plain with a Honda Civic Si under your seatbelt, great company and a chance to improve your driving skills.

For more information on the VCMC Motorsport Club visit www.vcmc.ca. Visit www.honda.ca for more about the Civic Si.

Twitter.com/cargirlsgarage

© Copyright (c) The Province
      VCMC Events Schedule - VCMC Facebook page

Comment

Working...
      X