Event Membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Membership

My wife and I might be in the vicinity that weekend -- are we not allowed to enter because we are not VCMC members?

Re: VCMC AutoX Cup #4 -- Unofficial Sign Up Thread

Originally posted by Murray Peterson View Post
    My wife and I might be in the vicinity that weekend -- are we not allowed to enter because we are not VCMC members?
    You are certainly more than welcomed to come into the pad, spectate, and mingle with everyone. Feel free to sweet talk anyone into giving you a ridealong -- I'm sure the novices will appreciate your expert advice to help them go faster.

Participation in the event (driving, that is), however, will be limited to VCMC members that have pre-registered via Karelo.

Hope to see you and your wife there, Murray~

-Rick
    Rick Leung
    one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
    DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

Disappointing I doubt I will make the side trip for just ride-alongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Traum View Post
        You are certainly more than welcomed to come into the pad, spectate, and mingle with everyone. Feel free to sweet talk anyone into giving you a ridealong -- I'm sure the novices will appreciate your expert advice to help them go faster.

Participation in the event (driving, that is), however, will be limited to VCMC members that have pre-registered via Karelo.

Hope to see you and your wife there, Murray~

-Rick
        I don't know about anybody else, but I disagree with this policy completely. There should be some exemption for unusual circumstances - like maybe living 1000kms away. It doesn't make a lot of sense for them to buy a membership considering they live in Calgary, but it seems a shame to me that they can't attend an event if they happen to make it out this way. In fact I would go so far as to say that it goes against the spirit of the sport.

Can't they be given some kind of temporary/honorary/celebrity membership or something?

Brian
        Brian Hemming | 1990 Mazda Miata - CSP | 1993 Mazda MX6 - HS

Comment

Originally posted by 510 View Post
          I don't know about anybody else, but I disagree with this policy completely. There should be some exemption for unusual circumstances - like maybe living 1000kms away. It doesn't make a lot of sense for them to buy a membership considering they live in Calgary, but it seems a shame to me that they can't attend an event if they happen to make it out this way. In fact I would go so far as to say that it goes against the spirit of the sport.

Can't they be given some kind of temporary/honorary/celebrity membership or something?

Brian
          From what I understand, the club membership requirement is primarily there because of our insurance coverage with CACC. I'll discuss the issue with the other execs, but the response is likely going to be a bit slow since Richard and Carol are still in Lincoln.

-Rick
          Rick Leung

Comment

... In fact I would go so far as to say that it goes against the spirit of the sport. ...
            I find it strange (and disagree with it too). WCMA has a "100 km rule" -- competitors that travel that distance or more *must* be allowed to enter, no matter what restrictions are placed on entry.

Perhaps I will come to a VCMC event next year. Or perhaps I'll be discouraged from doing so...

Comment

From what I understand, the club membership requirement is primarily there because of our insurance coverage with CACC. I'll discuss the issue with the other execs, but the response is likely going to be a bit slow since Richard and Carol are still in Lincoln.

-Rick
              Thanks Rick. I'm sure Murray and Jo are members of at least one club that runs under WCMA in Alberta which is under the same ASN coverage as CACC (at least I think that's how it all works). Not sure if that helps at all, but it might since they belong to a somewhat affiliated club.

Brian
              Brian Hemming | 1990 Mazda Miata - CSP | 1993 Mazda MX6 - HS

Comment

Thanks Rick. I'm sure Murray and Jo are members of at least one club that runs under WCMA in Alberta which is under the same ASN coverage as CACC (at least I think that's how it all works). Not sure if that helps at all, but it might since they belong to a somewhat affiliated club.

Brian
                One thing to consider Murray is that the VCMC membership fee in your case would include a free event entry. You have never been a member of VCMC so the event would only be about $10 dollars extra for each of you. You would join on Karelo and then post you would like to use your free entry for both you and Jo.

Just as a side note Victoria Motor Sports Club and UBCSCC both get their permits from CACC and the insurance from ASN Canada, the same as VCMC. We offer non-members a slightly higher entry fee which gives them a day membership in the club. When I run UBC events I get a day membership from them for $5.00.

We in Victoria have a smaller population base to draw from so we don't want to discourage new people coming out to try the sport. Without the added expense of a membership right off the top we like to think we can attract first timers more easily.

I like the 100km rule but can it include a ferry ride too! I think Brian could get from Kelowna to the event before me with that pesky ferry to contend with
                1990 Honda CRX Si - STS

Comment

Originally posted by RedRex View Post
                  One thing to consider Murray is that the VCMC membership fee in your case would include a free event entry. You have never been a member of VCMC so the event would only be about $10 dollars extra for each of you. You would join on Karelo and then post you would like to use your free entry for both you and Jo.
                  Believe it or not, but it's not the dollar figure; it's being made to feel less than welcome. A second class citizen if you will...

Comment

Originally posted by RedRex View Post
                    Thank you for pointing out the free event with 1st time membership. One minor correction is, membership fee is $50 for the year, and event registration cost is $50 as well. So effectively, there is no difference in costs at all.

I am not familiar with the day membership stuff, so I won't comment on it.

-Rick
                    Rick Leung

Comment

how do we explain allowing SCCA members to run with us then without being a member of VCMC ??

Comment

Originally posted by PDM View Post
                        how do we explain allowing SCCA members to run with us then without being a member of VCMC ??
                        Don,

I am not aware of that being the case at all... at least, not for our regular season events.

For the Super Challenge event, I know SCCA memberships were accepted in place of VCMC memberships for US competitors. Also for the Super Challenge event, membership with a CACC/ASN affiliated club is also accepted. But being the Super Challenge, the nature of the event is quite a bit different than our regular events.

-Rick
                        Rick Leung

Comment

Originally posted by Murray Peterson View Post
                          Believe it or not, but it's not the dollar figure; it's being made to feel less than welcome. A second class citizen if you will...
                          I don't understand if it's not the dollar figure, why didn't you just signed up for membership and use your free event?

I have read the entire thread and I don't see what comment is giving you the impression you are not welcomed.
                          All drivers including the ones from the island and the US are paying for their membership regardless of the number of event they will attend, so I am not sure why you feel it should be different for you.

Having said that I do agree that the club is lacking a weekend membership option and that having something like a $10 or $15 weekend membership would make sense in that type of situation.
                          VCMC Events Schedule - VCMC Facebook page

Comment

Don,

I am not aware of that being the case at all... at least, not for our regular season events.

For the Super Challenge event, I know SCCA memberships were accepted in place of VCMC memberships for US competitors. Also for the Super Challenge event, membership with a CACC/ASN affiliated club is also accepted. But being the Super Challenge, the nature of the event is quite a bit different than our regular events.

-Rick
                            You contradict yourself then Rick...

As you said "From what I understand, the club membership requirement is primarily there because of our insurance coverage with CACC."

So if we are using CACC sanctioning for our insurance, then how are non members able to race with SCCA memberships which have zero assocation with CACC or ASN ?

................to me, it appears to be a inner-club policy - not an insurance issue, unless there is different insurance coverage policies for closed club events vs open events ??

Comment

Now that you got me thinking, Don, I seem to remember a few more things from all those CACC and autoslalom discipline meetings I have attended. Please bear in mind that part of the following is based on what I remember, and part of it might very well be my speculation (so the information may not be correct). And in some (many?) cases, I probably can't tell which category something I write belongs to, but here it goes:

I'm 99.9% certain that participants at our events are required to be VCMC club members in order for meet the CACC insurance coverage requirements. Provisions at the CACC level allow for special day/weekend memberships, but the CACC explicitly doesn't want these day/weekend memberships to be used by the same person on a regular basis. In fact, I seem to remember Mike Kaerne saying that if the person has used the day membership multiple times, he should really just sign up for the full club membership. I personally agree with that line of reasoning because we really want people to commit to the club and attend as many events as possible instead of merely taking advantage of a day membership arrangement and only show up whenever.

Furthermore, I think the club is supposed to keep track of all the day/weekend membership that we have issued as well as the number of a times a person has repeatedly used the day/weekend membership. As I was saying, if the person has used the day membership too many times, we're supposed to make him join as a full member. I don't know whether the club membership / day membership headcount affects any of the monetary matters we have with the CACC, but I'm under the impression that all this keeping track of stuff adds to our administrative workload and paper trail with the CACC.

With the Super Challenge being a 1-off special event of the year, the club is probably treating all the non-CACC/ASN members as people with the special day memberships. Now because of that day membership, the non-CACC/ASN members are covered under the CACC insurance as well. But again, this adds to our administrative workload. We're ok with dealing with it as a 1-off special event once a year, but to do it on a season-long basis would probably be too much of an on-going pain in the butt.

Personally, I don't know of a formal/official VCMC policy to govern day memberships -- I am guessing the rationale here is, it's just extra administrative workload that we'd rather not take on. So instead of the day membership, we're offering the free event with full membership for first time VCMC members. To me, it is a win-win solution because it gets around the day membership stuff, and is effective in attracting new members to try out the sport. Obviously, it is not perfect and doesn't cover all the bases. But for Murray's case here, it doesn't affect him negatively at all.

-Rick
                              Rick Leung

Comment

Working...
                              X