Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Event Membership

Originally posted by Carson View Post
    It sounds to me all that you guys are asking for is a day membership for members of other CACC clubs, I think VCMC used to have it a while back but for some reason it was removed (don't remember the details, but I recall it had something to do with insurance).
    Exactly - seems simple enough to look into

IMHO the productive place to have this kinda thoughts, opinions, complaints etc turn into actions is to contact the ELT directly, and request to have it put on the agenda at the club meeting. Ideally a member should be there to explain (or read the email etc) why this is good for the club / members / solo community, and the membership can decide.
    Pretty sure the ELT is aware and Rick in particular has obviously been thinking about the issue. Personally that was good enough for me - doesn't really seem like I need to drive down from Kelowna just to say "Hi guys - can somebody look into day memberships please?"

********* personal opinions (rant), the unimportant part *********
    I don't really see how "Inviting" or not comes to play, VCMC is very inviting, they just want you to pay to play. I don't understand why some feel the need to get offended about these things, this is the price, this is what you get from it, if it doesn't work for you there are plenty of other events, some don't even need memberships. The Ciniplex theater down the road is very inviting, but it doesn't mean you get to watch movies for free. The cost of membership is minimal compare to what we spend on our race cars, race tires, gas and hotel per year, and all that money goes to make our events better, why some of us so concern about that particular $50 out of the thousands of $ we spend on racing overall is beyond me, but that's neither here nor there.
    Where did this come from? Murray never said he wanted to race for free and nobody else said he should race for free. The whole point was that a day membership might encourage out of towners to drop in for a race when they are in town. Get some new competition, meet some new people, learn about other regions - seems like a win for everyone involved.
    Brian Hemming | 1990 Mazda Miata - CSP | 1993 Mazda MX6 - HS

Comment

I'm not making any judgment on whether VCMC should or should not offer day memberships, that is certainly their prerogative to require all drivers to join the club. With that said, there is a lot of conjecture that this is an insurance related matter. I have attached the pertinent sections from the CACC rulebook. There is no requirement or even mention of being a member of the host club, however, they will need to be a member of an affiliated club. CACC is affiliated via ASN with all clubs covered by ASN across Canada so would in theory cover Murray...

-Mark

From the CACC rulebook, the following requirements apply to all events:
      3.4.A. DRIVER ELIGIBILITY
      To qualify for entry into any CACC sanctioned event, a driver must:
      i) Be a Member in Good Standing of a CACC affiliated club and
      ii) Hold a current and valid Provincial or State Driver’s License with minimal “N” (novice) status. All New Drivers with “L” or Learner’s status will require a passenger 25 years of age or older with a valid Driver’s license.
      The driver’s license and club membership card and CACC competition license, if required, must be presented at the time of event registration and/or technical inspection at any CACC sanctioned event.
      In addition, to attend a CACC regional autocross event, the following is a requirement in addition to 3.4A:
      4.2.A COMPETITOR REQUIREMENTS

Local Competitor Eligibility
      Eligibility for Entry - To qualify for entry, in addition to the requirements of section 3.4.A, a competitor must be:
      a) The holder of a valid CACC Autoslalom license.

Competitors from other ASN Territories – To qualify for entry into a CACC sanctioned regional event, a competitor must:
      a) Hold a current provincial Driver’s License and,
      b) Hold a membership or license from ASN or ASN Territory that grants eligibility for AutoSlalom events and,
      c) Have a current membership card of an ASN affiliated club.

US Competitors - American residents holding an SCCA issued membership that grants eligibility for AutoSlalom events will have their memberships recognized for registration in CACC Regional events. Additional entry requirements may be imposed, but these additional requirements must be outlined in the Event Regulations. They must also hold a current state Driver’s License.
      Mark Uhlmann, UBCSCC Ex-Pres
      CM #51: 1998 Van Diemen
      STX #67: 2011 BMW 128i

Comment

Originally posted by 510 View Post
        Where did this come from? Murray never said he wanted to race for free and nobody else said he should race for free. The whole point was that a day membership might encourage out of towners to drop in for a race when they are in town. Get some new competition, meet some new people, learn about other regions - seems like a win for everyone involved.
        That was certainly not directed to murray, if anything it is prob more a respond to Garnet's comment "Clubs that don't reciprocate appear to less inviting". I agree that the "watch movies for free" comment is not really applicable here, perhaps membership at a DVD rental place (do they still exist?!) is a more suitable example.

BOTTOM LINE: I do like the idea of day membership for out of towers personally, if it means it will attract more fast out of towners to come run with us.
        2001 Toyota Sienna (don't ask...)

Comment

BOTTOM LINE: I do like the idea of day membership for out of towers personally, if it means it will attract more fast out of towners to come run with us.
          I hope you meant that it will attract ANY AND ALL out of towners to come run with us.

Comment

Seems everyone here sees the point of this, be nice if in the future I can post my impressions of club policies without an administrator directing a rant at me.

Comment

Working...
            X