2015 SCCA Solo rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 SCCA Solo rules

The draft version of the 2015 SCCA Solo rules was posted yesterday, see more here.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/..._b_reduced.pdf

Re: 2015 SCCA Solo rules

Hey everyone, I'm sure this comes up every year but I would appreciate some help understanding the new helmet requirements. The 2015 rules require a helmet "meeting the latest or two immediatly preceding snell foundtion standards", then goes on to list a bunch of standards, some of which total more than three in the string. For eg. my helmet is rated M2000. To me it looks like the current is M2015, preceded by M2010 and M2005, which makes me think that my helmet is out of date, however the list goes on to include M2000. I'm trying to figure out if I need to be helmet shopping this spring, assistance would be appreciatd!

Comment

Originally posted by jostafew View Post
      Hey everyone, I'm sure this comes up every year but I would appreciate some help understanding the new helmet requirements. The 2015 rules require a helmet "meeting the latest or two immediatly preceding snell foundtion standards", then goes on to list a bunch of standards, some of which total more than three in the string. For eg. my helmet is rated M2000. To me it looks like the current is M2015, preceded by M2010 and M2005, which makes me think that my helmet is out of date, however the list goes on to include M2000. I'm trying to figure out if I need to be helmet shopping this spring, assistance would be appreciatd!
      To keep it simple, I think it is easiest to just look at it this way:

- go get a new helmet!

Your new helmet should probably be M2010 or SA2010 at a minimum. I am not sure if the M2015 / SA2015 helmets are out yet (they probably aren't), but if you can get your hands on those, that would be a good idea as well.
      Rick Leung
      one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
      DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

Here is what the Snell foundation says.....
        The Snell Foundation permits manufacturers to release new SA2015 models starting October 1, 2015. Note: In past experience, most manufacturers fall behind and do not have their new helmets in production by this timeframe. If you have an SA2005 helmet, check with your sanctioning body to confirm their rules.
        So, since 2015 is not available yet, obviously the "latest" would be 2010.
        And 2 immediately preceding issues would be 2005, and 2000.

A helmet with the 2000 rating was probably produced in 2001, or later (till early 2006).

But, as Rick says.... if you are unsure, then get a new one.....
        but it will only be a 2010 version.... 2015 is not yet available.
        Gary and Pat Watson
        2016 Long Beach Red Metallic Corvette Z06 Coupe

Comment

Hey guys, thank you for the responses. Ntmd8r that quote is helpful. The simple thing to do would be to simply get a new helmet, but when budgets are tight the hobby funds need to go as far as they can and that would dictate that I should wait until helmets with the 2015 spec are available. I guess the question now is whether VCMC will let me participate in CPE's this year with the helmet I have. On the small chance that I actually participate in a race event this year it will be a VCMC organized event anyway so I don't need to worry about other clubs' rules...

Comment

The rules the guys are listing remember are US rules.

We run SCCA car classifications, but organization and safety rules are dictated afaik still by CACC.

CACC 2015 rules HAVE NOT been posted and IF (like usual) you won't see them changed until almost mid season, which is May

What I read in the 2014 CACC rules is an M2000 helmet still is valid as far as the rules stipulate.

edit: actually directly on this page, it outlines helmet ruling which means avoid my above comment :

http://www.caccautosport.org/rules/

hope that helps.

don

Comment

Thanks Don, for that clarification.

As an observation, usually Snell rating Helmets are not available until well into the subject year.
              This means that a Snell 2015 will likely not be available until well into 2015.... perhaps maybe not until early 2016.
              So, as with most (all ?) sanctioning bodies, to infer that we can get 10 years from a helmet is really misleading.
              For example:
              If I buy a Snell 2010 helmet in 2014 (which I did), then in reality I will only get 6 years out of it, before the
              next rating applies (2020).
              So, helmet providers should offer a pro-rated price,
              depending on the number of years left before it expires (fat chance of that happening).

Just thoughts from a somewhat seasoned veteran.
              Gary and Pat Watson
              2016 Long Beach Red Metallic Corvette Z06 Coupe

Comment

Interesting, so it's "anticipated" that I'll need a new helmet this year.... Hmm maybe I better look at CL to find a cheap one for this season then pick up a new one next spring when the 2015 rated models are out.... Hate to buy a brand new helmet that's already 5yrs old in a sense.

Comment

Look at it this way, if a year 2000-rated helmet is still good today, and assuming that it is produced in 2001, the helmet has still been valid for a solid 14 years. So if you were to buy a 2010-rated helmet now, chances are, it'll still be valid until 2025. For me at least, getting 10 years out of the same helmet is certainly more than enough.
                  Rick Leung
                  one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
                  DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

Working...
                  X