Work Exemptions for Older Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Exemptions for Older Members

I'd like to propose that we show some respect for our elders and institute a work exemption at a certain age.

Every event there are a bunch of people in their 20's and 30's tripping over themselves to sign up for the slack jobs that only require 45 minutes work. In the meantime, there are drivers in their 70's on their feet for 3 hours working the course in the heat/rain/wind/whatever. Doesn't make sense to me....

I think it's awesome that people into their 70's are still racing. It's very inspirational and they continually remind me that this is supposed to be fun and we should enjoy what we're doing. With attendance as high as it's been I'm sure we would be OK with a couple less workers.
    Brian Hemming | 1990 Mazda Miata - CSP | 1993 Mazda MX6 - HS

Re: VCMC Auto-X Cup 4 - Sunday, June 12, 2016

I agree...

Comment

I concur with what Brian says as well.
      Rick Leung
      one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
      DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

I agree with the idea, but at what age though? would 70yrs old sounds about right?

Comment

All members are always welcome to ask the event chair for a "load" reduced work assignment should circumstances require. For example, we've had members with chronic health conditions for who we always provide an appropriate option. My 92 year old neighbour is still cycling the 10km sea wall in Vancouver. Everyone is different at different ages.

Before we assume that all our older members want a blanket exemption from work assignments, I think it would be the right thing to listen to their perspectives. So please, share your opinions here elders of the pad! And if you know them personally, please ask them to do so.

(To me this sounds like mandatory retirement, but I'm not 65 so what do I know.)

~John

Comment

Oh of course we aren't asking for mandatory work exemption here -- if an elder driver is fully ready for work assignment, why would we want to deny them of the help they are offering?

I do wish I can obtain some sort of work exemption (at the office) while still retaining a full salary though...
            Rick Leung

Comment

I want to be really clear that I have utmost respect for our older members who come out to race. It was a few of our older members who really helped me out and inspired me when I was new. I just think they should be involved in making any decision like this.

Comment

Originally posted by traum View Post
                Oh of course we aren't asking for mandatory work exemption here
                No? I might be missing the point then ...

Originally posted by 510 View Post
                I'd like to propose that we show some respect for our elders and institute a work exemption at a certain age.

Comment

Originally posted by krobro View Post
                  No? I might be missing the point then ...
                  I'm just saying that it should be an option - I never meant to imply that it was mandatory.

Touchy subject - I get that. Not sure how to present the option and where to draw the line. I'm sure you can find several people in their 80's that are in better shape than me and I'm sure there are young people with health issues too.

I just don't want someone being put into a situation that puts their health at risk because they never realized that they had the option to ask to sit out. Most of us have the mentality that if you don't work then you don't race.

Respect the elders and give them the option to take a shift off every now and then - that's all I'm saying. I bet most of them will still work most of the time anyway. After all it's not that age group that's rushing to sign up for the easy jobs.

And I think maybe somebody should speak to a few of them individually - internet doesn't seem like the best way to reach the target audience. Actually telling someone that we have lots of workers and they have earned a break is a lot different than blindly assuming that someone will speak up when they can't do it anymore.

Comment

And I think maybe somebody should speak to a few of them individually - internet doesn't seem like the best way to reach the target audience. Actually telling someone that we have lots of workers and they have earned a break is a lot different than blindly assuming that someone will speak up when they can't do it anymore.
                    Agreed. If you could help me out and PM me a short list of the names you recommend contacting I'll be happy to let them know it's an option. I can think of a few myself but will probably miss a few.

Comment

I also just thought we could add a line to the reg form in MSR where we ask for the work assignment selection:

"If there are any health/safety concerns as to what you can do for your work assignment, please let us know in the box below and we'll get in touch to discuss options with you."

Comment

I could come up with some names, but it might be safer to set an age limit - 70 or whatever - and then pull the info from registration. Saves offending someone who's only 55, but looks 80. Plus that way it's more fact based and not misconstrued as favoritism.

Adding a field to registration might just open a can of worms - everyone with a stubbed toe will want to sit in the shade. Also, I would guess (especially on these 35 degree days) a more likely scenario is someone working in the morning, but not being able in the afternoon.

Here's another couple random thoughts....

Maybe we should take the over 70 crowd and anyone with health issues and split some jobs like scanner, starter, waivers, etc into morning and afternoon shifts. So instead of waiving their requirement to work we are splitting it in half. Maybe not the greatest since someone is still working in the afternoon heat, but it's still 50% of the time.

Or are we just complicating the whole thing. Maybe it's as simple as the COW being someone who is familiar with everybody and makes the adjustments on the fly. Afternoon shifts roll around and the COW simply says "good day sir/madam - we have lots of workers this afternoon - you've earned the right to take a break should you choose". Seems like it might be easier to opt out when someone offers it up than it is to swallow your pride and go ask for a break.

Comment

Or are we just complicating the whole thing. Maybe it's as simple as the COW being someone who is familiar with everybody and makes the adjustments on the fly. Afternoon shifts roll around and the COW simply says "good day sir/madam - we have lots of workers this afternoon - you've earned the right to take a break should you choose". Seems like it might be easier to opt out when someone offers it up than it is to swallow your pride and go ask for a break.
                          I like this approach best. I say we implement this and see how it works.

Comment

I'm not sure it's a good idea to assume that older folks - of which there aren't all that many autocrossing to start with - are going to be looking for a way out of doing the work that is an expected part of the autocross experience.
                            I'd just as soon give these hypothetical elderly folks the benefit of the doubt and trust them to approach the organizers if there were an issue with their ability to do the expected work.

Comment

I feel like we are seriously over-analyzing things at this point. My personal understanding of the issue that Brian brought up was -- we have a small number of elderly drivers who are still active in the sport. As a matter of courtesy and a show of respect to these drivers, some of us would like to propose that the club offers them the option of skipping work assignment. They are free to accept it or to decline the offer.

We are not saying they are looking for a way to get out of work -- that's what **I** always try to do, but almost always fail. We are not saying they are incapable of completing their work assignment. We are merely suggesting that -- hey, as a club, we respect our elder drivers, and we think we can afford to give them a break.
                              Rick Leung

Comment

Working...
                              X