Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoping out Vancouver AutoX from London, Ontario

Hey guys!

My name is Suze and I live in London, ON right now, and I'm really active in my local autoX club here (WOSCA).

My husband Trevor and I are considering moving to Vancouver for him to do a Post-Doc at UBC later this year/early 2017! It's all still up in the air, but I thought I'd introduce myself on here, and see what all is going on in Van area for autoX and other motorsports so I can get to know folks and figure out exactly what to jump right into if this all works out!

My current autoX car is a 1995 Honda Del Sol (VTEC trim). I run in H-Street (do you guys use SCCA classes?) on Bridgestone RE71R's. I'm trying to do everything I can and still stay in H-street - so I've just put in my Koni Yellow's a few months ago and I'm thinking a rear sway bar is up next.

I have a YouTube channel if you guys want to check out some of my runs from different clubs in Ontario (I do WOSCA in Sarnia/London and PITL in Brampton, and occasionally I'll make it down to Western New York). https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMX...J5WsykautivCng

SO yeah - what are your events like? How many do you do a year? Do you guys do a lot of social events together as a club too?

Really looking forward to learning more about Van/your club!

Re: Scoping out Vancouver AutoX from London, Ontario

Hey Suze,

Premature welcome to the club! I'm sure with that car you'll fit right in (and yes we use the SCCA classes)!!

You'll find our club very similar to yours, perhaps a bit bigger, out at Pitt Meadows Airport on a pad I know is bigger and more open than the one from your videos (I ran on it a few years back). We're lucky to have quite a few active clubs locally aside from VCMC so you can do a LOT of racing each year (UBCSCC, Corvette Club, and more). The UBCSCC club even runs a 'slush' series during the BC 'winter', which features much more rain than slush.

Look forward to seeing you out on the pad when you get to Vancouver!

Rich

Comment

Hey Suze,

Yes, as Rich has pointed out, we have a very active autox / motorsports community here in Vancouver. And between the various clubs, we pretty much have autox events happening year round. Between April to Sept, I think it is safe to say that there'll usually be 2 - 4 autox events happening per month. Help, volunteering, and getting involved at the executive level would probably all be very much welcomed.

Increasingly, lapping days have also become very popular, with lots of organizers putting on events at the local track and abroad in WA state. Solo1 competition in the form of time trials and hill climbs are also available if that's your thing. Karting is also quite accessible in the suburbs just outside Metro Vancouver, with 2 excellent sites (GMR in Chilliwack and SIMA in WA) that hosts competitive karting events. Rich can tell you more about karting if you're interested.

The only down side to all this motorsports activity is, we cannot be responsible for taking time away from Trevor's research. :P

Hope to see you in a future event soon!
      Rick Leung
      one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
      DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

Thanks guys! That's really helpful!!

I do a *lot* on our exec now, so I'd for sure be interested. I do a lot of our promotions stuff, website management and I'm starting to learn our timing software too!

I think it's adorable what you guys call "winter." We had our first "summer" event this year get snowed out. We tried to keep running but by noon the whole track was covered in about 3 inches of snow and we were mostly half frozen to death and called it. I wore a blanket like a skirt on top of my 3 coats for most of the day while huddled under the timing tent trying to keep the computer dry.

Thinking about it now, I feel like it snowed at most of the events I went to in April/May....

What tracks are near by? I've done some lapping days out here in Cayuga, Grand Bend and the small track at Mosport, but I haven't had the Kahunas (or opportunity really) to do the big track at Mosport!

Also - not really autoX related... but tips for finding a dog friendly apartment with 2 parking spots in Van? I'm pretty nervous about everything I've heard about the rental market out there. Is it true I have to make a resume for my dog? I read about that in the Globe....

Comment

Also.... yes, I started researching car clubs before apartments... obviously....

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            What tracks are near by? I've done some lapping days out here in Cayuga, Grand Bend and the small track at Mosport, but I haven't had the Kahunas (or opportunity really) to do the big track at Mosport!
            Local Road Race Tracks:
            - Mission Raceway
            - Vancouver Island Motorsports Circuit (Private)
            - Seattle International Raceway
            - The Ridge Motorsports Park
            - Portland International Raceway

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            Also - not really autoX related... but tips for finding a dog friendly apartment with 2 parking spots in Van? I'm pretty nervous about everything I've heard about the rental market out there. Is it true I have to make a resume for my dog? I read about that in the Globe....
            Over a year ago my GF and I looked for the exact same kind of listing, we were willing to pay over $2k for a 1BR and had a REALLY hard time finding anything. My chocolate lab being around 100lbs didn't make it easy, even though he's basically a brown rug while at home. After a bunch of frustrating open houses and not getting anywhere we ended up in Richmond. Keep in mind we were looking in the highly sought after areas of Kits and South Granville. Casting a larger net will find you much better results, good luck!

Rich

Comment

Hey, we've got some good winter racing stories here in Raincouver as well, and it is more than just about rain. It was a UBCSCC Slush series event, but because it rained before the temperatures started dropping overnight, when drivers arrived in the morning, the whole pad was frozen over. It took a good crew with shovels and spades to literally dig through the ice and carved the racing line back out!

In Ashcroft, BC, supposedly they try to hold at least 1 ice racing event every winter. But as you can imagine, the event is completely at the mercy of mother nature, and I seem to think that over the last several years (maybe 4 or 5?), they've had to cancel the event more than 1/2 the time.

Locally, Mission Raceway is the place for lapping days, Solo Sprint / Time Attack, and road racing events, but they are actually better known for their reputation in drag racing. SCCBC is the folks that manage and look after the track. CACC is the provincial sanctioning body for most amateur motorsports, and they are affiliated with ASN Canada.

Regionally, a lot of folks used to frequent the Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA (which is basically part of the Seattle area) for track days, but the new darling these days is the Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, WA. Some trek further down to Oregon Raceway Park, and the even more hardcore folks travel down to Portland International Raceway.

And oh yes, there are at least 3 local active teams that are involved in Chumpcar endurance racing.

So as you can see, if you and Trevor ever need a break from his post doc studies / research, there is no shortage of motorsports events to keep you guys busy.

As far as dog friendly apartments are concerned, it really depends on which areas in the city you want to live in. Generally, places in the west side of Vancouver are more dog friendly. Unfortunately, that is also the expensive end of the city. And then if you choose to commute... well, our traffic is a different kind of bad compared to Toronto. And be extra vigilant should you ever drive in Richmond -- they've earned their reputation for good reason.
              Rick Leung
              one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
              DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

Working...
              X