Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help determining class

Hello everyone,

Cup 1 will be my first autocross event and I can't wait to get started after spectating the warm up session.

I am having some trouble determining which class I belong to as my vehicle is some what obscure. After seeing
    other vehicles I am thinking it belongs in the Street Prep F class but not 100% sure. My car is a 1986 Subaru GL/Loyale coupe
    and has the following modifications:

Engine

-Weber carb swap with intake riser
    -MSD coil
    -Emissions removal
    -Exhaust re-done
    -Venting fuel cap

Suspension/Handling

-Ground control coil-over sleeves/springs
    -Added 22mm rear sway bar with custom mounting solution
    -Higher offset larger wheels re-drilled to specific bolt pattern
    -195/50r15 BFG Sport Comp 2 tires

Body

-Rear fenders cut
    -Overfenders added due to wider track

Interior

-Fire extinguisher added
    -Rear seats and carpet removed due to impossible water leak

Here is a picture to give you a bit of an idea

Any help figuring out which class I belong in would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Chris

Re: VCMC Cup 1 - Sunday, April 10th, 2016

Originally posted by Chris Kohlman View Post
    Hello everyone,

Cup 1 will be my first autocross event and I can't wait to get started after spectating the warm up session.

I am having some trouble determining which class I belong to as my vehicle is some what obscure. After seeing
    other vehicles I am thinking it belongs in the Street Prep F class but not 100% sure. My car is a 1986 Subaru GL/Loyale coupe

Engine

-Weber carb swap with intake riser
    -MSD coil
    -Emissions removal
    -Exhaust re-done
    -Venting fuel cap

Suspension/Handling

-Ground control coil-over sleeves/springs
    -Added 22mm rear sway bar with custom mounting solution
    -Higher offset larger wheels re-drilled to specific bolt pattern
    -195/50r15 BFG Sport Comp 2 tires

Body

-Rear fenders cut
    -Overfenders added due to wider track

Interior

-Fire extinguisher added
    -Rear seats and carpet removed due to impossible water leak

Here is a picture to give you a bit of an idea

Any help figuring out which class I belong in would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Chris
    I have no idea which class you fit into but that thing is gorgeous! I remember seeing it at warm up. Nice work, man. I suspect the moderators may move this into another thread but surely someone will be able to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Il Toro Vecchio View Post
      I have no idea which class you fit into but that thing is gorgeous! I remember seeing it at warm up. Nice work, man. I suspect the moderators may move this into another thread but surely someone will be able to help you out.
      Thank you for the kind words, it sure has been a fun project. I thought this was the correct place to ask as it says in the O.P to ask in this thread... I guess we shall see.

Comment

Chris
        Hello Chris,

With the removal of the back seats, that puts your into some sort of SM (Street Modified) class. Assuming the Loyale is FWD, you'd go into SMF.
        Rick Leung
        one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
        DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

Originally posted by traum View Post
          Hello Chris,

With the removal of the back seats, that puts your into some sort of SM (Street Modified) class. Assuming the Loyale is FWD, you'd go into SMF.
          Hello,

First off thank you for your response, I was kind of lost looking through all those rules and regulations as street prep and street modified looked very similar.

I will go ahead and enter into SMF but just out of curiosity I was wondering if it would benefit my PAX time much if I decided to put the seats back in the vehicle. Once again this is more of a hypothetical question as I am mainly here just to have fun... Thanks again.

Comment

Hey Chris,

To put it mildly, the SCCA Solo rulebook is a complicated and daunting document. I won't claim to be an expert in anyway because much of the time, I am also 1/2 guessing and 1/2 wondering how things fall into place. But essentially, the big ticket difference between the SP class and SM class is, SM classes allow for major engine swaps (but must still fall within something from the same manufacturer) and removal of interior trims. IIRC, SP class only has allowances for engine update/backdate.

In your case, if you were to re-install the rear seats and interior (carpet and stuff) back into the car, it would put you back into some kind of SP class since all of your remaining modifications are SP-legal. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with your Loyale, and classing would define on the engine size. If your Loyale has an engine displacement of under 1.7L, it would be in FSP. If it was over, it would go into CSP.

IIRC, later later model years of the Loyale has a 1.8L engine. But for your year, I have no idea what it uses.
            Hello,

First off thank you for your response, I was kind of lost looking through all those rules and regulations as street prep and street modified looked very similar.

I will go ahead and enter into SMF but just out of curiosity I was wondering if it would benefit my PAX time much if I decided to put the seats back in the vehicle. Once again this is more of a hypothetical question as I am mainly here just to have fun... Thanks again.
            Rick Leung

Comment

Hello Alfa,

SMF stands for Street Modified FWD, and as you have probably figured out, vehicle classing determines your PAX index -- ie. essentially your autox PAX score modifier/multiplier.

In your case, your DC2 would fall into some kind of Prepared class -- probably EP. You can think of the Prepared class as being 1 step further in the mod list from Street Modified. The 3 SM classes allow for removal of interior trim behind the front seats. In your case, the lack of door trims and the removal of the dash would put it into Prepared class. Supposedly, there are also rules and formulas on minimum vehicle weight, wheel sizes, etc.

Roll bars / cages are considered a safety item. They do not affect vehicle classing at all.
              Originally posted by lordalfa
              Hi Rick

What s SMF class? I am prepping my DC2, no more rear seats, no more brackets, no more sound deadening, no spare tire or jack, no more door trim. The dash might be removed for only the instruments and the heater core.

But a 6 pt roll cage will be installed.
              Rick Leung

Comment

Re: Need help determining class

Thanks again Rick for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate all of this useful information.

Comment

Awesome car man! Welcome to the club!

Rich

Comment

Thanks Rich, appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                    X