Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with class?

Hows it going,

I was hoping I could get a hand with my class. I have been told conflicting info.

08 RX-8 40th aniv, coldair, tires under 200TW, resinator removed.

I appreciate it, Thank You.

Re: VCMC Cup 1 - Sunday, April 10th, 2016

Originally posted by R3XY View Post
    Hows it going,

I was hoping I could get a hand with my class. I have been told conflicting info.

Do you mean tires with greater than 200 tw rating? If so you would fall into STX.

Comment

Hows it going,

How wide are your rims and tires ?

Comment

Hows it going,

Your RX-8 starts off in C Street (CS). The CAI will most likely send it into the next class -- Street Touring Xtreme (STX). The exhaust resonator removal is a C Street-legal modification as long as the resonator is found downstream of the cat.

Tires is the tricky bit here. If your tire's UTQG rating is 200 or more (say, 240, for example), then they are CS-legal as long as your wheel size (in diameter, width, and offset) has not significantly change*. If your tire's UTQG rating is lower than 200 (say, 180, for example), then you would likely be in D Street Prepared (DSP).

* The RX-8 factory wheel and tire size are 18x8 50mm offset with 225/45/18 tires. Because your CAI is already STX-legal, your wheels and tires would still be STX-legal as long as the wheel is 9" wide or less, and your tires are 245 wide or less.

Hopefully your vehicle classing is now clear as mud?
        Rick Leung
        one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
        DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

Thank you all for your help,

If I am understanding things right I need to go into DSP, can I enter STX still with the low tread rating (180). Also my rims are stock and the tires are near stock size. Also on 3mm spacers.

Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you all for your help,

If I am understanding things right I need to go into DSP, can I enter STX still with the low tread rating (180). Also my rims are stock and the tires are near stock size. Also on 3mm spacers.

Thanks again!
            The short answer is no, you can not sign up for STX as the the minimum tread ware for all street tire classes is 200.

Comment

The standard installation of popular CAI's for the RX-8 move you from ST to SP. Same problem as the MX-5's.
              Because you have to 'remove' a splash shield. See step 4 of Racing Beat instructions below. Mazdaspeed/AEM have the same issue.
              http://www.racingbeat.com/manuals/18...RX8%20Duct.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by mybabym View Post
                The standard installation of popular CAI's for the RX-8 move you from ST to SP. Same problem as the MX-5's.
                Because you have to 'remove' a splash shield. See step 4 of Racing Beat instructions below. Mazdaspeed/AEM have the same issue.
                http://www.racingbeat.com/manuals/18...RX8%20Duct.pdf
                Yes, removal of "stuff" to facilitate CAI installs will send a car from ST to SP. However, in the NC MX-5 world at least (where the car shares at least a good number of parts with the RX-8), ST-legal CAI solutions have long been developed and used. With the RX-8 being a top STX car in previous years, I would be quite surprised if a similar ST-legal CAI solution does not exist for the car in general.
                Rick Leung
                one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
                DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

I'm sure the MX-5 solution would work on the RX-8.

Comment

The Mazdaspeed Cold Air intake may be an exception that could keep you in STX. I believe its an standard upgrade option for certain years of the RX8. Standard upgrade options usually don't push cars into higher classes. The FR-S for example has a couple TRD upgrades that are stock options and guys in stock class can implement these. These include an intake and stiffer springs.

I'm not sure what kind of proof you would have to show to allow the CAI mod.... As a fellow RX8 driver I have reviewed these intakes and the results from testing indicate that power gains are marginal and some even net a loss. My personal opinion is that the mod should be Touring Legal, if not Street legal. However, I am not the one to approve these.

If you still insist on adding the CAI I would suggest either the AEM or mazdaspeed. Search on RX8club.com. I once read a thread about modifying the intake piping so that the splash guard does not need to be removed. This would be a sure way of staying STX legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X