Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to VCMC and autocross

Hi all,
    Just introducing my self and have 2 questions.

Little about myself, names Benny, i have zero competitive driving experience and drives a 2016 Subaru BRZ.

Questions:

What Class is my stock BRZ in? CS?
    Could someone recommend me a 3/4 (open face) helmet that meets regulation and is <$200?

Really hoping i can get on the pad for May 1st.

Thanks, Ben.
    Last edited by blackice; April 22, 2016, 11:12.
    It's not the Arrow, it's the Archer.

Re: New to VCMC and autocross

Can't help you with your class or with the helmet... but did want to say welcome .. and you can always borrow a helmet from VCMC.

If you do find a good deal on a helmet let me know as I'm also looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjo View Post
      Hi all,
      Just introducing my self and have 2 questions.

Little about myself, names Benny, i have zero competitive driving experience and drives a 2016 Subaru BRZ.

Questions:

What Class is my stock BRZ in? CS?
      Could someone recommend me a 3/4 (open face) helmet that meets regulation and is <$200?

Really hoping i can get on the pad for May 1st.

Thanks, Ben.

Welcome !

Yes the BRZ will fit in to CS, assuming that you have not changed anything that will bump you up a class.

As far as helmets go, you could look for a M or SA 2005 helmet, these can be had for under $ 200.00. Like this one http://www.driversedgeautosport.com/clearance_RZ11.html

Comment

Welcome! Great car to start autox on!

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by blackice View Post
          As far as helmets go, you could look for a M or SA 2005 helmet, these can be had for under $ 200.00. Like this one http://www.driversedgeautosport.com/clearance_RZ11.html
          Minor correction to Captain X's comments above -- if you are purchasing a new helmet, you'd probably want to look for at least a SNELL-rated M or SA 2010 helmet. An M or SA2015 helmet would be even better. I am not sure what year of certification the club / CACC allows right now, but a helmet with a 2005 certification will be expiring and not suitable for club use very soon, if it hasn't already expired.

On a different note, the club do provide a small number of loaner helmets. We always encourage new drivers to bring their own, especially if they are looking to join this sport for the long haul. But on a temporary basis, loaners are available.

Welcome to the club, and I hope to see you at Cup 2! (Don't tell me you haven't registered yet? )
          Rick Leung
          one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
          DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

Originally posted by blackice View Post
            Wow! thanks for the quick repsonses and the welcomes!

One more question on the helmet, is it worth it for me spend more to buy a SA 2010 or 2015? my concern is that the the requirements will change next season to SA2010 (pardon my ignorance about helmets I've never bought one to racing and how the clubs manage their expiration), so i don't want to spend money on buying another helmet next year when i could have bought a newer one that will last a few more years.

Thanks again, Ben.

Edit:
            Never mind, Thanks Rick for answering my question as i was posting this! I will be checking out Drivers Edge after work today.
            Last edited by Benjo; April 22, 2016, 12:46. Reason: My first experience posting on VCMC and Rick Leung is already a Legend.
            It's not the Arrow, it's the Archer.

Comment

Originally posted by traum View Post
              Minor correction to Captain X's comments above -- if you are purchasing a new helmet, you'd probably want to look for at least a SNELL-rated M or SA 2010 helmet. An M or SA2015 helmet would be even better. I am not sure what year of certification the club / CACC allows right now, but a helmet with a 2005 certification will be expiring and not suitable for club use very soon, if it hasn't already expired
              Question - I though 2005 helmets were good until 2020 helmets come out? Should be good for 4 years still right? Helmets tend to get a little funky, so 4 years might be plenty if the price is right.

Oh and you'll want to find a guy named Ben in a blue FRS to see what one of those things can do in stock form. Just stay away from the Krotez FRS or you'll want to start modifying
              Brian Hemming | 1990 Mazda Miata - CSP | 1993 Mazda MX6 - HS

Comment

Since retiring from the exec team last fall, my brain has turned into mush, and I can't be trusted on anything I say regarding official club policies. So please take my helmet certification remark with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by 510 View Post
                Question - I though 2005 helmets were good until 2020 helmets come out? Should be good for 4 years still right? Helmets tend to get a little funky, so 4 years might be plenty if the price is right.
                Rick Leung
                one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
                DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

Working...
                X