Classing my NA Miata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classing my NA Miata

Hey guys I am new to the autocross scene and was looking to get into it with my NA Miata. so i wanted to know what class i will be in if i can get my maintenance done before auto x cup 5. My cars current modifications are

cold air intake
    lowering springs
    body kit
    16' wheels
    MOMO steering wheel

So with these modifications what class would i be in and also i wanted to know if i were to modify my exhaust would i still be in the same class or would i get bumped up a class thanks for the help

Re: Classing my NA Miata

Welcome to the club Rory,

I BELIEVE you'd be in STS, someone else should chime in here.

In STS you can also run a modified exhaust (even headers), you do need to run a cat though.

Rich

Comment

OK thank you very much rich for the reply. I also wanted to know if you do three runs/laps are you out of the novice stage or do i need to participate in three events Example: auto x cup 1,2,3 to become a senior so i can have passengers ? thanks

Comment

Hi Rory,

For the remainder of the year you will be classed as a Novice. If you participate in 3 or less EVENTS (not runs) this year, then next year you will be eligible for the Novice group as well.

Novice drivers are not permitted to have a passenger ride with them. The only exception is a senior driver can be a passenger.

We look forward to seeing you at the pad!

Jordan
        Last edited by JValgardson; July 18, 2016, 13:05. Reason: Incorrect Information Regarding Passengers for Novice's

Comment

If we are going absolutely by the book, potentially your Momo steering wheel might not be STS-legal. According to Section 14.2D of the SCCA rulebook:

D. Any steering wheel may be used. An alternate steering wheel assembly, including all mounting hardware, which replaces an airbag-equipped wheel is not required to have an airbag but must weigh at least as much as the standard assembly. An alternate wheel is not required to have a horn button.
          So depending on whether your Momo steering wheel is heavier than your stock steering wheel, it may or may not be STS legal. For local competition, someone would really have to be an a$$ to protest you on those grounds. But FYI, it is something you should know about, and I have been told that at the regional competition in the US, someone has protested a winning Canadian-spec STS Miata because the Canadian and US cars have slightly different steering wheel, and the rulebook at the time was written without allowing for this difference. The Canadian car lost the class winner title because of the protest.
          Rick Leung
          one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
          DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

Originally posted by traum View Post
            I have been told that at the regional competition in the US, someone has protested a winning Canadian-spec STS Miata because the Canadian and US cars have slightly different steering wheel, and the rulebook at the time was written without allowing for this difference. The Canadian car lost the class winner title because of the protest.
            Somewhat off-topic, but a good reminder that at big events people do care. Local events.....not so much.

Assuming we are thinking of the same incident.....

Issue was that a 1990 Canadian Miata did not have an airbag steering wheel. US cars did. Rule was that an airbag wheel could not be replaced - a non-airbag wheel could be replaced. Not knowing the difference between the Cdn Car and the US car the owner replaced his factory non-airbag wheel in good faith. SCCA rules are of course based on US production. Cdn car won STS and was protested and disqualified. Innocent bystanders who know a thing or two about Miatas pointed out that the now winning (originally second place) car was in fact illegal as well due to the missing front tow hooks (baby teeth in the Miata world). Somewhat of a weenie protest, but many believed the original protest to be poor sportsmanship considering there was a substantial margin of victory. The former second place - now winning car was also disqualified. The originally third place driver sat quietly by until the smoke cleared at which point he was awarded the trophy and the contingency winnings.
            Brian Hemming | 1990 Mazda Miata - CSP | 1993 Mazda MX6 - HS

Comment

^^ Yup, pretty sure we are thinking of the same incident. Just goes to show that some people really take their racing very seriously, esp at the bigger events.
              Rick Leung
              one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
              DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

People do weird things when money is involved.

Most important thing is that would never happen at local event, run STS and have fun.

Rich

Comment

Ok thanks for the help guys hope to see you out their soon!and also from my understanding every new season you are re classed as a novice? or only untill you have done 3 events then from their on you are a senior ?

Comment

Working...
                  X