Newbie to Autocross, not to cars. Need help classing 1986 RX7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to Autocross, not to cars. Need help classing 1986 RX7

Last winter I bought a retired 1986 RX7 race car and have been slowly bringing it back to life. Its a work in progress. Lots of good parts, but everything needed attention. With so many different classes available in the SCCA rule book im not sure where it fits in. I'll list the mods for ease of reading.

N/A Street ported 13b rotary engine.

Coilovers

Falken Azenis tires(hard as rock. any suggestions for replacements?)

completely stripped interior, roll cage, aluminum dash

Stock calipers

Lexan rear hatch

I think thats all thats relevant. Thanks for the input.

Terry

Re: Newbie to Autocross, not to cars. Need help classing 1986 RX7

Based on what you list, it is in F Prepared. And that would allow you to run full race slicks.
    Keith
    Something blue and sparkly
    www.chaserace.com
    www.tightntidyracing.com

Comment

Ok thanks. Any idea how long a set of slicks would last me? Are there any disadvantages to running slicks besides flat spotting?

Comment

Originally posted by Rotorhead View Post
        Ok thanks. Any idea how long a set of slicks would last me? Are there any disadvantages to running slicks besides flat spotting?
        The real disadvantage to running slicks is usually transporting them, I'm guessing you'll be trailering so it might not impact you. Because the braking zones are shorter, the risk of flat spotting a set of slicks is a LOT lower than on track. Road tires can be more fun as it takes a bit more driving to get a good lap time out, but that is just an opinion.

Rich

Comment

Thanks Rich. I appreciate the input. I do trailer the car as its not street legal. My wife also competes so the car is doing double duty and we are both new to autocross. maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves with slicks. We're just hungry for more grip! lol

Comment

As far as tire wear is concerned, I seem to remember Brian / Jim / Alan's CSP Miata being able to get ~250 runs on their R Comps (Hoosier A6?) before they cord. Perhaps they can / will chime in on the exact numbers, but I think only the initial 50 - 80 runs are nationally / regionally competitive. The Hoosiers will also heat cycle out on the Miata long before the tread is gone.

Mind you, Miatas are notoriously easy on tires, and I am not at all optimistic that an FC can reproduce the same durability even when it is stripped.
            Rick Leung
            one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
            DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

Would a Proxy RR last longer?

Comment

Originally posted by traum View Post
                As far as tire wear is concerned, I seem to remember Brian / Jim / Alan's CSP Miata being able to get ~250 runs on their R Comps (Hoosier A6?) before they cord. Perhaps they can / will chime in on the exact numbers, but I think only the initial 50 - 80 runs are nationally / regionally competitive. The Hoosiers will also heat cycle out on the Miata long before the tread is gone.

Mind you, Miatas are notoriously easy on tires, and I am not at all optimistic that an FC can reproduce the same durability even when it is stripped.
                Yup - that's all true.
                Brian Hemming | 1990 Mazda Miata - CSP | 1993 Mazda MX6 - HS

Comment

Originally posted by Rotorhead View Post
                  Would a Proxy RR last longer?
                  Yes it would. True slicks will be the fastest then Hoosier A7. After that there are a bunch of tires like the RR, Toyo 888, Hankook Z214, etc that are not quite as fast, but usually have a longer life span.

My advice would be to just bring the car out. Once you do a few events it usually becomes obvious which direction you'll want to go
                  Brian Hemming | 1990 Mazda Miata - CSP | 1993 Mazda MX6 - HS

Comment

Ok thanks for the input. We'll see you out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X