Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Lancer Classing

Hey guys, hoping you could help me out:

2012 mostly stock base model Mitsubishi Lancer (2.0L N/A)
    215 45 18 tires on 7 x 18 wheels
    Intake tubing removed up to filter box

Where does this place me? Thank you.

Re: 2012 Lancer Classing

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hey guys, hoping you could help me out:

2012 mostly stock base model Mitsubishi Lancer (2.0L N/A)
    215 45 18 tires on 7 x 18 wheels
    Intake tubing removed up to filter box

Where does this place me? Thank you.
    Your car is listed under STF (Street Touring FWD)

Comment

Much appreciated

Comment

If you still have it, putting the intake back together would put you into HS and is something I'd highly recommend.

Comment

Assuming that the 18x7 wheels are OEM sized for your trim level, you can stay in STF as Dave has indicated, or you can re-install the intake to get it back to stock. Generally speaking, unless you have some kind of known and effective solution to prevent the stock intake from sucking in the hot engine bay air, the factory solution should be drawing in some cooler air for a higher engine output even if your DIY solution sounds more aggressive.

To put it another way, you want to make sure that your engine is sucking in the coolest possible air because cooler air contains more oxygen, and more oxygen will allow your engine to make more power.

On the note for choosing between HS vs STF classes, I'd personally prefer STF because you can do some very easy mods for cheap that will significantly reduce your lap times. Camber bots are ~$40 - $50 per set, and a $120 alignment to go along with them will get you a car that has significantly more front end bite (ie. more front end grip for some much faster turns, while dramatically reducing the understeery tendencies of a typical FWD production passenger car). Moving to the ST class will also open up a lot of doors for additional mods to make your car significantly faster.

The downside to this is, competition in ST is extremely stiff. Street class is no walk in the park either, but there are lots of very fast cars and even faster drivers in ST, more so than in Street class.
          Rick Leung
          one of the old farts; used to be somewhat fast

NC Miata (aka Nancy) - #10 STR
          DE Mazda2 - #29 STF -- the fastest 2015 STF car in the province!

Comment

Working...
          X