Class My Ride

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class My Ride

I own a 1973 Leyland Australia Mini Window Van with 1185cc A Series engine, front disc brakes, 12" wheels & Yokohama street tires, adjustable suspension & adjustable dampers. What class would it be in?

Wow, that’s a unique car. Not sure about class yet. I am sure some people will be on it. Might fit into Heritage Classic Sportscar (HCS).

Comment

Yes, JValgardson, there are few Aussie Mini Window Vans in North America. I have waved the flag in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon & California since bringing it 'home' in January 2014 after touring Australia (Big Island & Tasmania 2011 & 2013). With the 1185 & suspension improvements and since I live in Pitt Meadows maybe entering VCMC events at the airport might be fun. The closest Minis were the Vans B.C. Telephone Co. modified with side window glass for their installers working in the old Mutual exchange (downtown/west end). A few of these round nose examples are still left. They all had 848cc engines.

Comment

One question for HCS would be whether the 1185cc motor was ever available for the Window vans as stock. If not then maybe SMF would be the class. For now I would not worry too much about what class as the rules for 2019 have not be written and lots can change between now and the publishing of the rules.

Comment

The block is an overbore of the 1098 cc power unit the Mini Van was manufactured with in 1973...later Vans had the 998 cc, when the 1098 blocks were no longer available to Leyland Australia. Australian Mini production ceased in 1978. All Vans had 10" wheels & drum brakes. A previous owner equipped the Van with front disc brakes, necessitating the 12" wheels,...a smart move for driving in modern traffic.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Hunter2; November 20, 2018, 11:48. Reason: Added photo of the Mini Van as presented on the ALCAN 5000 Summer Rally 2018

Comment

HCS: “ Engine must appear stock, with internals unlimited.” So...bore, stroke, cam, valves, compression...all OK. Switching from carburation to fuel injection...nope. Adding a super charger...nope (man, I want to do that to the B)

Brake and wheel upgrades OK.

Sounds like HCS is the right place for you. See you in the spring!

Brad

Comment

Was this vehicle ever available in North America? Would it be allowed in HCS? I see it being the same as JDM stuff that goes straight to SSM or whatever.......or am I missing something?
              Brian Hemming | 1990 Mazda Miata - CSP | 1993 Mazda MX6 - HS

Comment

As long as it was produced by a nonAmerican manufacturer, it is OK. No requirement that it be sold here.

Brad

Comment

Working...
                X