X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TurboFirebird
    started a topic Would like to Autocross my 1975 Firebird

Would like to Autocross my 1975 Firebird

I Bought my Firebird new in Feb 1975 and I Turbocharged it in 1979 and somewhere in the 80s, I ran the firebird in a autocross event in the parking lot in the Haney Mall, The car was too modified to run in anyone's class so I was only running against myself but I had a wonderful time being able to use the HP in a safe environment. I wasn't particularly fast but the commentator was impressed enough with the first run that the announcement for my second run was particularly enthusiastic, insuring people were watching. The car made a wonderful noise that stopped the traffic on the street next to the parking lot. There was no sport for drifting at that time so watching me exit each corner sideways and light the tires up down the straight to the next turn had people interested to say the least. The car made a sound that people weren't use to at the time, the massive suckingof air, the whine of the big turbo and the exhaust note of two straight pipes. Unfortunately I had to leave early to the shagrin of the organisers. The car broke down shortly after that event and I never was able to do it again.
    I stored the carin my garage for 15 years and started working on it again in 2005, I decided to do it right this time so it won't break so often. I built a bottom end capable of handling 1400 hp and similarly changed any component that might break from running about 800 hp. I finished the car in 2013 and put it in the tradex car show and got an Honourable mention but I had several problems that needed to be resolved like a leaky rear main. Anyways that's the story now for the question, I want to run it again but I realize it doesn't really fit in any class but that is OK, I just want to enjoy the car again. So what class can I run it in (even though it is not competitive). It is a 462 cubic Inch motor that has a big single turbo running a bout 15 PSI. It is fuel injected and intercooled. The rear suspension is an Art Morrison Triangulated 4 bar with Wilwood Brakes, coil over adjustable shocks. The front suspension is similarly prepared. It has a double disk clutch with a scattershield. (sfi rated) a 5 speed tremec transmission, with driveshaft rated for 1000 hp, the 9" ford rear end is also 1000hp rated with a 3.5 ratio. The chassis is strengthened with a 6 point roll bar that ties front subframe to rear clip. The harmonic balancer is also SFI rated and the racing seats have 5 point 3" harnesses. If you have any questions about the car you can see the whole build in facebook under "Johns 1975 Formula 400 Firebird" it is open to public. Sorry if this is too long but I wanted to tell you about the history of the car in autocross.

• Zedzag
    replied
    I had a quick look at your build and it’s a beautiful car John. The main thing I can say is to reiterate what was said earlier about the strict sound rules and would like to add that we also must limit certain types of driving like intentional drifting as that also creates unwanted attention for the club and there is really no point as autocross is a grip event and spinning ain’t winning.

Other than those points I’d love for you to bring the car out. I have a 1981 Z28 that sees the odd autocross and it would be nice to see another 2nd out there

Leave a comment:

• lowside67
    replied
    Originally posted by 510 View Post

XP maybe? I don't think you can add forced induction in CP can you?
    Correct. Not legal for CP due to the forced induction, legal for XP.

-Mark

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Momo-Tiramisu View Post
    I think CP would the the right class as well. But either way Prepare class and Mod class won't be a good starter. I think this gentleman has other cars and those would be a much greater autocross vehicle.
    XP maybe? I don't think you can add forced induction in CP can you?

Leave a comment:

• Momo-Tiramisu
    replied
    I think CP would the the right class as well. But either way Prepare class and Mod class won't be a good starter. I think this gentleman has other cars and those would be a much greater autocross vehicle.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Well not to be discouraging......but the first thing I'm going to do is post this section of the rules. Just want you to be aware that we have had major issues with the neighbors in the past and all the clubs are enforcing the same strict limits to try and maintain the long term use of the venue.

NOISE LEVELS: All vehicles must be muffled with a maximum allowable sound level of 92dB, as measured at 50 feet from the edge of the course. Competitors exceeding this limit will be given one warning, and will be permitted to make modifications to reduce sound. Competitors will be disqualified if they cannot comply with this sound limit. Final judgment of the acceptability of sound levels, regardless of the measured sound level (including, but not limited to tire noise), rests with the Event Chair and designated event officials.

Having said that - there is actually a class for your car now. Assuming you are running tires with a tread wear rating of 200 or greater then you would be in CAM-T which is Classic American Muscle Traditional. If your tires are less than 200 treadwear then you would be in EM or E-Modified.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X