Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Mini Cooper S (R53) 200PS JCW kit class

Hey all,

I'm looking at joining next year's autocross and wondering what my car would be classified as. It's a 2004 Mini Cooper S with the dealer-installed 200PS John Cooper Works kit (updated supercharger on refresh of that year, pulley reduction, cat-back exhaust, and slightly ported exhaust). I'm unsure what the dealer-installed JCW kit would classify it as being an option kit provided by the dealer but not installed at factory until 2006. No other modifications other than a single-mass flywheel clutch of similar spec to the OEM dual-mass. Cheers, thanks for newbie help!

According to the 2020 SCCA Rule book the 02-05 JCW is excluded from the Street Category of classes, but it also states "Cooper S & Cooper S JCW (including dealer-installed 2005-06) (2001-06)" in the Street Touring Xtreme (STX) class. If further modified it could go into DSP or FP. I would register in STX (assuming there's a place to race next year) and if there's anyone else out there that is more knowledgeable or has the same car they can chime in.
    Russ
    1994 MR2
    2008 CSX

Comment

Thanks Russ, I didn't realize the actual rule book itself had a more complete listing of models. Yeah here's hoping next year might still happen with recent news. I am wondering about the clutch replacement, previous owner replaced the worn out clutch with a pretty common value kit which swaps the dual mass flywheel known for causing some issues to a single mass. It mostly aligns with the allowance to replace consumables with a similar part however I'm not sure if that swap from single mass to dual mass would constitute anything more.

Comment

I think you will get dinged for that flywheel change even if there's no performance advantage.
        Russ
        1994 MR2
        2008 CSX

Comment

For club events running in STX would likely be OK. Strictly speaking your car doesn't exist as you have back fit parts to a car that never had that option. The flywheel change would also be an issue. So you could be looking at SMF (street modified Front wheel drive). The good thing there is that you can run Hoosiers for even more grip.

Comment

Working...
          X