Vancouver Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vancouver Special

In view of the fact that the Phantom Special has been sold for almost 18 months and the new car, the Vancouver Special, is nearing completion. I have decided to change my forum name to reflect the same.

It has been pretty intense for the last two years, spending weekends and many week nights in the garage instead of doing normal things like most other perople. But it's exciting to see the new project actually starting to look like a race car the last few days. Since I want to keep the car under wrap until it's fully completed, I can only show a few photos on some individual parts instead of the whole chassis.
    http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=792272

Joe

[ March 23, 2004, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Vancouver Special ]
    "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

can't wait to see the finished product

Zach
    Zach Wong

VCMC Member since: Once upon a time...

CM - Ford Swift DB-1 (NA94)
    STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
    DS - 04 Lexus IS300
    DS - 01 Chrysler Sebring Coupe
    GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

Comment

Upload new photos and added captions (to old and new photos).

http://www.villagephotos.com/browse.asp?selected=792272

Joe

[ March 09, 2004, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Vancouver Special ]
      "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

Comment

sorry Joe, I try the latest link you provided, but it is asking for a login and a password. First link is good.
        Ayrton Senna, He was, and still is, the greatest.

Comment

Sorry, the new link is for my own private log-in. Please use the original link posted on my first message.

Joe

Comment

More new images uploaded.
            http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=792272

Joe

Comment

Three new images uploaded.

Joe

Comment

Going to the paint shop tomorrow. The original plan was to put the chassis on the roof rack. I can't believe that the whole chassis actually fits inside the back of my mini van.

Joe

Comment

Joe it looks like you are getting real close, when do you plan on your first event?

Those uprights look $$$ to machine!
                  Johnny
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc5rpSGwXlM

Comment

Yes, it's getting real close. Hoping to run the car in late May. Would have been earlier but ran into 3 major problems about 5 weeks ago which took 3 weeks to resolve. Once the car comes back from the paint shop, final assembly can start.

The rear uprights are coming back from the anodizing shop tomorrow. Will post some pictures later.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Vancouver Special:
                      Once the car comes back from the paint shop, final assembly can start.
                      Pink?

Comment

Originally posted by dov:
                        Pink?
                        No. It's baby powder blue.

Just kidding. Actually, the colour I picked is the 2004 Chrysler PT Crusier white. There are already a lot of white cars in the club (Alex painted his Formula Ford white last year and Lawrence, Bernie, Lisa's Honda got painted white this year also. I would have preferred another colour except the problem is that a lot of stuffs on this new car is glued together. Without a large oven, I couldn't use high temperature epoxy. Instead, I used room temperature cured products. This means if the service temperature gets higher than the curing temperature, the stength of the epoxy decreases. The goal is to keep the surface temperature as low as possible on a hot sunny day. This is the same reason why all the home-built experimental aircrafts are painted white.

Joe

Comment

...and white is supposed to be the lightest of all colors right?

Comment

Originally posted by autobacs:
                            ...and white is supposed to be the lightest of all colors right?

I know red is the heaviest.

Comment

When I was a university student, I had a summer job one year working for a local paint company's research lab.

One of the main ingredients (by volume) in paint is the pigment. For white paint, the pigment is basically titanium oxide. Yes, it's lighter than most other pigments, if not the lightest.

Joe

[ April 24, 2004, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Vancouver Special ]

Comment

Working...
                              X