another supercharged red civic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another supercharged red civic

yesterday at mission, my "lapping buddy" from kelowna told me shane's civic is supercharged too. good driver + LFB = more sm fun

Re: another supercharged red civic

Yep thats is true hope to see you soon guys and gals. I got Jaker's old one and its lots of fun. I will still race down there this year but not as much it was really difficult to drive 4 hour's sleep, then race the next day. So I we will see 2 day events for sure,and Red Deer also.

Comment

Ya, no guff! I'm wishing I'd stuck with my original setup at this point. I've gone through 2 blocks in the last month. Maybe 3rd one's the charm.

Comment

dang, did they blow up on the road? good luck!

Comment

The 1st failure was at the UBCSCC Slush series finale, and was less than "spectacular" unless you think the cloud of oil smoke at the end of my 3rd run is exciting.

The next failure was along highway 99 at 10:45 at night, and had it happened during daylight hours, and been witnessed by anyone (other than the driver, me), I'm sure it would have been quite a bit more spectaculer (loud bang, followed by oil dummy light turning on, and then the passenger compartment filling with smoke).

Needless to say, I think I ran the boost a little too high. The block is a D16A6, all OEM, with a D16Y7 head, also OEM. The only mod to the longblock is a set of ARP headstuds.
          I was running it at about 11-12 psi (I don't honestly know if the boost gauge is accurate). The crank pulley is the OEM D16A6 diameter (about 5.7"), and the snout pulley is a 3". The supercharger is fully modded by Endyn.

The motor was a high mileage unit, but I gave it a good going over before installing it. I didn't replace any internals, but after babying it for a few weeks, I did some compression testing, and got 180-190 across all 4 cylinders.

After this, I decided to "push" it to make sure the mixtures were rich enough. I'd ran it at "full song" in the lower gears a bunch of times, and saw 11.5-11.8 A/F. This time, I ran it up in a higher gear. The end result can be seen in the pictures below.

I had a good look at the pistons, and there are no signs whatsoever of any detonation. The plugs are also detonation free. I don't know if the failure of one rod lead to the other failing as well, or if they both crapped out at the same time. The wrist pin and the top portion of the #2 rod "left the building" and punctured the rad in the process. They are nowhere to be found.

The rods did not "stick" to the crank at all. I have not removed them, but they spin around the crank quite freely, and I suspect that the bearings are "undamaged".

I will put this one down to trying to run too much power through an OEM rod. Either the rod failed in #2, destroyed the bottom of the piston in the process, and lead to the failure of the #4 rod as well, or the bottom of piston #2 broke, and lead to the previously mentioned carnage.

Lesson learned!

Comment

Wow Jaker, 1.9 ratio on a M45 get you ~11-12psi, that's a very efficent setup. I'm running 1.67 on a MP62 only get me 8psi. I guess the "coldside" is a better setup.

......but then I ONLY has 170rwtq......

Comment

Originally posted by Terence
              Wow Jaker, 1.9 ratio on a M45 get you ~11-12psi, that's a very efficent setup. I'm running 1.67 on a MP62 only get me 8psi. I guess the "coldside" is a better setup.
              but then the bigger freer-flow the engine, the lower the boost.

Comment

I made an error in my pulley measurements. The crank pulley is actually 6" in diameter which when combined with the supercharger pulley at 3" yields a 2:1 multiplication. I was definitely over 11 psi when it blew. The blower was spinning at about 14,000 rpm. The blower has been modded internally for improved efficiency.

The stock configuration for the blower is a 6" crank pulley and a 3.8" supercharger pulley, and generally yields about 6 psi. However, that is achieved at a quite low RPM (about 3,000). With my setup, I get about 8 psi at about 2,500 and it continues climbing to 11+ as I near the rev limit (8,000).

Comment

Holy crap! Now that's a failure!

This is Jacques with the red civic, right? I think I did a ride along in this car in the first autox with the sc setup. I remember someone (henry?) joking about the motor blowing up. Well, it was a wild ride while it lasted.
                  -------------------------------
                  Mike 'Chan' Marich

Comment

Originally posted by NA94
                    Well, it was a wild ride while it lasted.
                    What do you mean "while it lasted"? It'll be back in the enxt week or so, just as strong as ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X