Several newbish AutoX questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several newbish AutoX questions

Hey there, I just had a few autocross questions about a few things I'm finding a little confusing. I've been attending VCMC practise events semiregulalrly for the last 2 years, and am just starting to get a little bit more serious about it and wanting to start competing to an extent this year.

First off, whats with all the clubs and organizations? SCCA, CACC, CNAC, VCMC, Solo, BCMA, UBCSCC, etc etc. Talk about some serious alphabet soup, autox is acrynomn crazy, more then just a little confusing. Ok, I'll be more specfic.

1. From what I can tell theres only 2 rulesets in use in these parts, SCCA and CACC. I really liked the CACC rules better, but oh well. Now who runs what rules? Obviously VCMC has gone SCCA (but not fully converted), but VCMC still hosts CACC series events. How are we supposed to build our cars to two different sets of rules if we want to compete in those? Or is it the CACC group that has adopted SCCA rules???

2. Are all events hosted by VCMC this year using SCCA rules? What about the CNAC days in Red Deer? And who is the CNAC??? What about the Kumho Super Challange, what rules are those?

3. I see the Novice Tour Championship days are now listed as NCT/ Club Practise Events (yay, another acryomn to dechiper, got that one at least). So I take it at these events the vets are not allowed to compete, only practise while the novice's times are used for competition? Whats the guidelines used for labeling someone as a novice and allowing them to compete?

4. What do the index numbers mean for our results?

5. UBCSCC and BCMA (and who are they?), what rules do they run? I take it you have to register with them and pay their annual fees as well if you want to compete in all of the CACC championship events. Is VCMC going to continue to host these CACC events?

Ok, I think thats enough for now. My name is Seamus btw (pronounced Shamus, kinda like Sean) and I drive the lone red supra that shows up occasionally.
    86 Black Toyota Supra.

Re: Several newbish AutoX questions

SCCA - Sports Car Club of America
    CACC - The Confederation of Autosport Car Clubs (BC's Race govering body essentially)
    CNAC - Canadian National Autoslalom Chapionship
    Solo - Another name for autocross/autox
    BCMA - Burnaby-Coquitlam Motorsport Association - Another local autox club
    UBC/UBCSCC - UBC Sports Car Club - Another Local autox club
    VCMC - VCMC Motorsports club - The site you are on now

At the November 2004 CACC AGM, we voted in, for all the clubs (VCMC, UBC, BCMA) to be using the SCCA rules for 2005 which can be found here:

http://www.scca.com/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf

The whole CACC ruleset (Last year's rules, with the whole points system) will be no longer run locally.

CACC is the governing body for solo in our region, so we run CACC regulations and rules and whatnot, CACC has adopted the SCCA rules, not VCMC in particular.

The Kumho Superchallenge is hosted by VCMC and will be running the SCCA rules.

CNAC, or CAC (Canadian autoslalom Championship) as it has been renamed to, just to put another acrynomn in there for you, will run the CAC rules. CAC is not governed by CACC, so they run their own rules.... I can't seem to find a link to those rules at this moment, maybe someone else has the link? Or I will get back to you with it.

Anyone can compete in the Novice/Practice dates, just the novice's times will be compiled for the Novice Championship Series. To be a novice, you must have competed in 3 or less events before then beginning of the season.

Indexing, or PAX, is a handicap that is applied to the classes to find out the "INDEXED" results... Every classes handicap different, it is to compare cars in different classes... Thats why when you see results posted, you'll see a Index result, and a overall result. PAX isnt perfect, so its never offical, so you only have to compete with the people in your class, but its nice to have to compare with other people in other classes... the PAX listing can be found in the SCCA rulebook.

You have to pay to join any local club, you dont have to join them all, you only really need to join VCMC, and you can run all the events

There are 7 CACC events per year, and the 3 local clubs split up the dates, check the calender, you'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny T.
      The whole CACC ruleset (Last year's rules, with the whole points system) will be no longer run locally.
      Except of course the grandfathering of the CACC Street Prepared classes for 2005 and 2006.

Comment

Oh yeah, who could forget. Thanks

Comment

CAC National Rules available at: http://cac.speedracer.ca/pub/2005/rules/

Comment

... the PAX listing can be found in the SCCA rulebook.
            Actually, it can't. SCCA has nothing to do with the PAX (Professional Autocross Index)/RTP (Racers Theoretical Performance) index. I don't think you'll find the word PAX in the rule book. Go here to read more about the index.

--Mike

Comment

Hmm... I always thought it stood for "Performance adjusted index". :/ Guess I learned something new today.
              If I keep changing colors... I just might win a jacket!

Comment

Originally posted by KenJai
                Hmm... I always thought it stood for "Performance adjusted index".
                You could be right.

Comment

ah good, so I'm not the one confused by all of these acrynoms

Thanks very much for all of the replies, espcially to Johnny T for taking the time to write that all up. Just a couple things to clarify...

Anyone can compete in the Novice/Practice dates, just the novice's times will be compiled for the Novice Championship Series. To be a novice, you must have competed in 3 or less events before then beginning of the season.
                  3 or less events, does that include practise events? Technically I've attended close to 10 practices over the last 2 years, but no competitions yet.

You have to pay to join any local club, you dont have to join them all, you only really need to join VCMC, and you can run all the events
                  So when attending the CACC official events hosted by other clubs, they will respect VCMC memberships and only charge for the event then?

Originally posted by Jaker
                  Except of course the grandfathering of the CACC Street Prepared classes for 2005 and 2006.
                  whats that all about? I run in DSP btw.
                  86 Black Toyota Supra.

Comment

Originally posted by SupraFiend
                    3 or less events, does that include practise events? Technically I've attended close to 10 practices over the last 2 years, but no competitions yet.
                    It include any autoX event. So, you will be categorized under senior in Solo II.

So when attending the CACC official events hosted by other clubs, they will respect VCMC memberships and only charge for the event then?
                    That's correct, so you will have to pay only $25. If you are not a member of any local club, you will have to buy a day lic. which is $5.

Comment

whats that all about? I run in DSP btw.
                      DSP under which ruleset? CACC (Canadian rules) or DSP SCCA (US rules)?

Comment

One thing I wanted to clarify to avoid confusion:

Our region is called CACC. That covers all solo clubs in BC (afaik). The car classing and preparation ruleset from SCCA was adopted by CACC, effective Jan 05. So now, CACC uses this SCCA ruleset so there is no longer differentiation between SCCA and CACC car classing and prep rulesets.

However, sometimes people refer to CACC ruleset. Most of the time, they probably mean old CACC ruleset.
                        Steve Kibble
                        Now residing in Victoria.
                        My mobile marketing blog:
                        http://3rdscreenmarketing.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Audi200tq
                          So now, CACC uses this SCCA ruleset so there is no longer differentiation between SCCA and CACC car classing and prep rulesets.
                          Except for the grandfathering of CACC Street Prepared for 2005 and 2006.

Comment

they're the other 2 local autox clubs.
                            ubcscc membership is $20; needed for their practice events
                            bcma practice events are open, so no membership needed =)

all 3 clubs host the champ events but to enter it doesn't matter which club you're a member of.

--
                            5. UBCSCC and BCMA (and who are they?), what rules do they run? I take it you have to register with them and pay their annual fees as well if you want to compete in all of the CACC championship events. Is VCMC going to continue to host these CACC events?

Comment

Do you have to be a VCMC member to attend the practice on May 1st? Thinking I might need some concrete time before the Atwater Pro.
                              Keith
                              Something blue and sparkly
                              www.chaserace.com
                              www.tightntidyracing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X