Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request Tips on Prep a Stock

Hi. I drive a HS on NCT.
    Any tips on what I can do to prep my ride before the run?
    Thank you thank you.

Re: Request Tips on Prep a Stock

Do the basics that we talked about at the Velocity classroom session:

pump up tires to 40psi (adjust @ the event)
    clean out the car
    run a 1/4 tank of gas
    check alignment
    change oil
    Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
    Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Comment

Many years ago, I wrote a short article on the subject. Some of the main things are list as follow:

1) Roll down all the windows, glass is very heavy.

2) Flip the passenger seat back down, it lowers the c.g. of the car. Not much but every little bit helps.

3) Slid the passenger seat all the way back if your car is front heavy. This will move weight back a bit.

4) Drain all windshield washer fluid. Water density is 10 pounds per gallon. Your car can easily be carrying 1 gallon for the front washer and probably 0.5 gallon if you have a rear washer.

5) Do not top up your gas tank after Wednesday if you have an event on the weekend. Keep putting in $5-10 worth of gas as you get closer to Sunday. Gasoline weights close to 8 pound per gallon, you could be carrying an extra 70-90 pounds of fuel which you don't need. Some cars might have fuel starvation problems during corner exit if you run too little fuel, but most cars don't. Experiment and find out how little fuel you can get away with.

There are other things you can do, but they start to cost $.

Joe
      "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

Comment

Originally posted by Vancouver Special
        Many years ago, I wrote a short article on the subject. Some of the main things are list as follow:

5) Do not top up your gas tank after Wednesday if you have an event on the weekend. Keep putting in $5-10 worth of gas as you get closer to Sunday. Gasoline weights close to 8 pound per gallon, you could be carrying an extra 70-90 pounds of fuel which you don't need. Some cars might have fuel starvation problems during corner exit if you run too little fuel, but most cars don't. Experiment and find out how little fuel you can get away with.
        I wonder about this one. I can see the benefits on the drag strip but for autoX the weight is to the back and down low. Especially on front heavy cars, the extra weight further back and down low should be benefitial, should it not? Same thing as removing the spare tire. The spare tire is down low and to the rear of the car. Any ideas?
        08 Nike Shox H/S???

Comment

Originally posted by SumAznGuy
          I wonder about this one. I can see the benefits on the drag strip but for autoX the weight is to the back and down low. Especially on front heavy cars, the extra weight further back and down low should be benefitial, should it not? Same thing as removing the spare tire. The spare tire is down low and to the rear of the car. Any ideas?
          Ed check your PM.
          91 NX2000 Bluebird DET
          12.00 @ 122 mph

Comment

As a general rule, taking out weight is always better than relocated weight
            Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
            Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Comment

...the extra weight further back and down low should be benefitial, should it not?
              Certainly not in HS. When there is little power to deal with the extra weight, I will always throw the weight out first. Whatever I can't throw out, I will then try to relocate.

Joe
              "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

Comment

Originally posted by Vancouver Special
                4) Drain all windshield washer fluid. Water density is 10 pounds per gallon. Your car can easily be carrying 1 gallon for the front washer and probably 0.5 gallon if you have a rear washer.

omg ... i ran with full gas tank and windshield fluid i think ... not intentionally but ... wow ...

Comment

Some people believe that full gas is better than half tank (weight transfer).

Me, personally, I can't tell the difference and I lack the consistency to see how much my time improves with or without full/half tank anyway.
                  Jeremy Im
                  VCMC Webmaster

Comment

Sometimes your optimal fuel level may depend on the car/setup.

The Heinous Honda was difficult to drive consistantly with less than a full tank of gas. It would become very twitchy and loose.

The Sinister Sentra was the same until I threw out the garbage lowering springs and ran Hyperco springs with much better rates. Then 1/4 tank was the only way to go.

Having said that, less weight should always be your number one goal, and if you can drive it with a 1/4 tank, do so. If you have to run more to keep the back end behind you, you probably have other problems (setup, driver, fate....).

G
                    This doesn't put food on your table, it's supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong.
                    -=- Lethal Locost -=- Lethal Locost 2 -=- V8 Firefly -=- Crusty Chevy -=-

Comment

Working...
                    X