2019 street tire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 street tire

So I've been away from the "Street Tire" scene for awhile now, what's the word on THE tire for 2019? Is it still the RE-71R?

RE71R doesn't come in one of the sizes I'm looking for, other suggestions?

Cheers!
    Zach
    Zach Wong

VCMC Member since: Once upon a time...

CM - Ford Swift DB-1 (NA94)
    STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
    DS - 04 Lexus IS300
    DS - 01 Chrysler Sebring Coupe
    GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

THE tireS are the Bridgestone RE-71R or the BF Goodrich Rival S 1.5. By most accounts they are fairly equal although you'll find fans of both.

I recommend the Bridgestones for two reason - they are cheaper (Costco is the cheapest price in North America) and they are better in the wet (not that it ever rains in Pitt Meadows). The BFG does like heat so summer and heavy or FWD car it tends to be popular.

Having said that if the Stones don't come in your size and you don't want to cough up the money for the Rivals there are a couple other contenders. Nexen N FERA SUR4 G is very close. There's a new Dunlop, but I don't know anyone who's run it yet - Direzza III ..... or something like that - not sure if they used the Star Spec name again. Early reports are that it's slower than the Bstone or BFG.

The close but not close enough category includes the Falken RT615K+, the Hankook RS4, the Kumho V720 and probably a couple I'm forgetting.

Continental Extreme Contact Sport (ECS) replaced the DW and is the go to cold/wet tire.

Just curious - what sizes or car? I might be able to recommend what people are running.....

Brian Hemming | 1990 Mazda Miata - CSP | 1993 Mazda MX6 - HS

Comment

bfg just released some big boy sizes in the rival s 1.5 check tire rack.
      if its for the cayman, i really liked the re71 on evelyn's.

Comment

Thanks Brian! It is indeed for the Cayman as Nick guessed. I have 2 wheel options, being a bit lazy, I'm leaning to the 19s but if 18s save me a bunch of money:

235/35/19 & 265/35/19
        235/40/18 & 265/40/18

The RE71Rs don't come in the 18 size. I haven't done the research to see if a different size could squeeze onto the 18" wheel.

As I'm unlikely to run a full season, cost/performance likely to come into play, which saves me the "I wasn't on the right tire" excuse :P

I have noticed the RE71Rs are cheapest at Costco so far
        Zach Wong

STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
        DS - 04 Lexus IS300
        GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

Comment

Ya the RE-71 is probably your best bet. Why not run undersize on the rear slightly?

235/40/18
          265/35/18

Comment

why not run oversize
            255 in front and 285 rear
            it works

Comment

• JValgardson
              JValgardson commented
              Editing a comment
              I like this idea better!

My understanding is that having a Porsche not within spec is blasphemous. My Porsche credentials are pretty weak as it is, owning a "not a 911" so by staying in spec, I can retain some valuable P-cred :P hahaha

I'll have to investigate this alternate sizing. For the most part the car is really going to be street driven on the 19s, and I'm kinda lazy to swap the 18s, so unless there's a large $ incentive, I'll probably end up going 19s. I doubt I'm going to be at the pointy end of the results anyways haha
            Zach Wong

STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
            DS - 04 Lexus IS300
            GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

Comment

Working...
            X