Club Practice Event #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club Practice Event #4

It seems as with the weather, my 1st season with VCMC just gets better and better. Arriving at Boundary Bay at around 7am, there was a slight breeze (as usual), the sun was ducking behind various clouds and a windbreaker really helped to stay warm. By the time everyone had gotten tecked and done their course walk the sun was shining. Everything seemed to go fairly seamlessly accept for a slight timing glitch here and there because of a certain bovine taking out the timing gates. Times decreased as the track temp increased and with a relatively small crowd of 65 (I believe) people there was some great competition. Anyways I am now sitting at my cousins house trying to figure out how I am going to recover from 2 hours of sleep last night for work on Monday... but meh... what are ya gonna do.

ps- I really wanted to see that open wheel car run.. Hopefully next time

...Richard...

yea good sunny day, but i think they shouldnt have the lunch break then we can have like more runs, since we all get our breaks eventually when we dont work and race...

also, i think this is a funny and interesting track..
    2002 Renault Clio V6

Comment

I agree. A 6th run would be much better than taking the 45 minute break.

Originally posted by AtlasAvant:
      yea good sunny day, but i think they shouldnt have the lunch break then we can have like more runs, since we all get our breaks eventually when we dont work and race...

Comment

Can I suggest that we use real chalk for the cone boxes instead of the grease crayons? Those can be used when wet.
        Also the color should be uniform and announced at the driver's meetings.

Comment

Finally nice weather at CPE. I had a blast. I found the course quite challenging in that certain places seemed a bit deceivingly fast I (and probably apply to other people as well) got dirtier runs in the afternoon.

I've uploaded the in-car video of my 5th run of the day. Unfortunately, somehow my camcorder missed my FTD run. Use right-click to save the file first instead of playing it directly (21MB). You need to have divx decoder. Will put more videos up if possible. Enjoy!

Thanks to everyone who makes another CPE so successful!

[ May 12, 2003, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Race Miata ]

Comment

My first autox. Got there early with the first people was really cold due to the fact that i tried to think faster than the weather so I wore shorts and it didnt warm up for a while. Track looked confusing at frist but wasn't all that bad I think i did allright for my first time got like a 64.xx sec best time. I'l be there for the next event see you all later.

-Kyle

Comment

Farz (or webmaster), can I upload my video to the Multimedia section? The Imagestation server is not that good (not available for everyone).

Comment

Alternate server for the video:

http://www.sfu.ca/~ckl/autox/fc2abd66[1].mpg

Thanks Cary!

Comment

it was a great day i must say!

thx Vasco, Damon, Chris, Sammy, Henry and Rachel for taking me out...too bad Cary was too famous to give me a ride today...

kinda tough for me to run a FSP car in C MOD but that's fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Race Miata:
                    ...I've uploaded the in-car video of my 5th run of the day
                    I've uploaded a few other clips of some people's runs if you want to save them. I'll probably need to delete them later for space.

Comment

For those who are following/chasing the Rookie of the Year award, here's how the points would have worked out if the weekend was a regional event. It's going to be very close between Richard and Oswald this year and if Kyle can make it out to the regionals events, it will REALLY make things interesting!

Pos,Class,Driver Name,Year Make Model,PAX Time,Pretend ROTY
                      1,CS,"RICHARD BASFORD, VCMC",03 MAZD MIATA,46.368,100.000
                      2,AS,"KYLE OBERNDORF, VCMC",00 PORS 996,47.134,98.375
                      3,BS,"OSWALD CHU, VCMC",01 HOND S2000,47.204,98.229
                      4,GS,"ARTHUR CHAN, VCMC",99 AUDI A4 1.8T,47.870,96.862
                      5,DS,DENNIS SHI,02 BMW 330CI,48.811,94.995
                      6,ESS,"ANDY LIU, VCMC",02 SUBR WRX,48.921,94.781
                      7,DSS,"JAMES CHANG, VCMC",02 ACUR TL,49.593,93.497
                      8,ES,"SAMMY MAK, VCMC",00 SUBA LEGACY GT,49.942,92.844
                      9,HS,DAVID CHAN,98 HOND CIVIC,49.962,92.807
                      10,DSP,"JAMES YANG, VCMC",99 ACUR INTEGRA,50.172,92.418
                      11,DS,ROB MILLER,01 VW GTI GLX,50.302,92.179
                      12,DSS,"MICHAEL YANG, VCMC",01 BMW 330CI,50.304,92.176
                      13,HS,SEAMUS EPP,85 TOYO COROLLA,50.305,92.174
                      14,DSS,"RICHARD POSTMA, BCMA",89 NISS 240SX,50.461,91.889
                      15,SS,"HENRY HO, VCMC",02 BMW M3,50.695,91.465
                      16,DSS,"DICKY LEUNG, VCMC",00 AUDI TT,50.826,91.229
                      17,CSS,ANDREW LEUNG,90 MAZD MIATA,51.075,90.784
                      18,DSS,SIMON KAN,01 BMW 330CI,51.135,90.678
                      19,DSP,"JAKUB FISHER, VCMC",02 FORD FOCUS SVT,51.146,90.658
                      20,ASSL,"RACHEL KWAN, VCMC",02 BMW M3,51.303,90.381
                      21,FSS,"TERRY YU, VCMC",92 MAZD PROTEGE,51.765,89.574
                      22,GS,"DEAN LEUNG, VCMC",98 AUDI A4,51.805,89.505
                      23,CS,"KYLE MATTHEE, VCMC",90 MAZD MIATA,52.264,88.719
                      24,HS,"ERIC MOUTAL, VCMC",96 HOND CIVIC,52.860,87.719
                      25,FSS,"FERDINAND MATARAGNON, VCMC",01 HOND ACCORD,53.128,87.276
                      26,HSL,"SONJA U.M. RING, VCMC",86 TOYO COROLLA,54.311,85.375
                      27,FSP,"PETER ANDERSON, VCMC",01 FORD FOCUS,55.129,84.108
                      28,CSP,NICHOLAS CHENG,97 MAZD MIATA,58.451,79.328
                      Silver '91 BMW 318is - 06/07 G-stock (retired and sold)
                      "On a break" from autocross

Comment

Originally posted by Sead:
                        Can I suggest that we use real chalk for the cone boxes instead of the grease crayons? Those can be used when wet.
                        Also the color should be uniform and announced at the driver's meetings.
                        I agree that the color should be uniform and known. The chalk vs grease pencil question is something that I've been thinking about for this Sunday. Here's my thinking: if the course is laid out and marked the day before, you have to make a guess about the weather. If you are absolutely sure that it won't rain over-night (or on Sunday), then you can use chalk. But if you have doubts, then grease pencil makes sense, because it takes a long time to mark the course and you wouldn't want to be doing this while people are walking.

I would much prefer to use chalk this Sunday for another reason. After the morning session, we need to sweep clear about 15 boxes and mark 15 new ones. If we use grease pencil, we'll have to X the boxes, instead, and this could increase confusion for the workers.

Note: the way that I design courses allows me to create special maps for the chiefs at each worker station. These maps not only help workers locate the boxes, but also make it clear which cones are whose responsibility. At big SCCA events, each cone usually has a number and you have to call in which cone was hit (and keep a written record). We won't be doing this on Sunday, but if you want to get idea of how SCCA events are run, that's another factoid.

- Jtoby

Comment

Originally posted by Dicky Leung:
                          I agree. A 6th run would be much better than taking the 45 minute break.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AtlasAvant:
                          </font>[/QUOTE]I agree as well that more run and no lunch break.

About the cone marks, I noticed they were barely visible and cost alot of confusion especially for some newer members. I had to call in to hold the car to highlight couple cones marks near my station (#2) when I was working on the course. The cone marks are there but are thin. Old cone marks are more visible did not help either.

Because of cone misplacements on the last two offset gates before the first Yaletown/Chicago box in the afternoon, it cost my last run dearly. (I am sure that run was my best run as I was putting everything together, I should have top that idex time ) It was too late,too fast when I recognized the course was not right. (Some might think, "oh it is just a CPE", but I treat every CPE as reginal)

In the morning, we experienced a small communication problem between worker station and timing/scoring. Stations called in for cones and no confirmation reply from timing. Joe was yelling at me to call-in the cones for his station as he thought his radio was not working. But I been told later that it was due to some technical problem with a particular radio at timing, problem was solved shortly after.

Overall, a great event, good course, good job on all workers and event organizers. Congratulate to Richard Basford on hosting his first drivers meeting, well done. Many new faces I seen, maybe just me have not came out often. It was very nice to talk to Joe again, thanks.
                          Ayrton Senna, He was, and still is, the greatest.

Comment

I just want to thank you all for a great event again, and I had a lot of fun running a longer course.

Also thank you Chris for the ride + the videos (you can talk to me about bandwidth =), and thank you ArthurC for posting the rookie states.

Hopefully the weather will be as nice next Sunday =).

Comment

I'm post some mpeg here for this event

autoX
                              I missed my Neon

Comment

Working...
                              X