Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Kumho SC Shoot-Out

Greetings -

Most people have at least read about the One-Day Tour format being used on Saturday (and you might be happy to hear that Cary & Henry & friends have a very long course designed, as well), but I thought I ought to say a few words about the shoot-out on Sunday.

First, things will start an hour later, both to give you time to - cough - recover from banquet and to give me time to reset the course. (Keep in mind that you don't have to retech.) The gates will open and the course will be ready for walking at 8 am, with the driver's meeting at 9:30, grid Group 1 at 9:45, and first car off at 10:00. So actually we'll catch up to being about a half-hour late.

The course will start with a launch into a longish straight. (Think SCCA ProSolo.) The design can be nick-named "Great Walls of Fire" since it has no gates, only offset walls and should be very very fast. It ends with a 6-cone slalom.

Everyone will get four runs. (Maybe five.) We will keep a top-twelve PAX list updated at all times. These people qualify for the shoot-out. Eight other people will be selected at random to also move on. These twenty people go to Round 1 and take a run. The top ten PAX from this move on to Round 2. The top three PAX from this move on to the Finals. These 33 runs at the end shouldn't take very long; maybe an hour total.

The twist: for each round, I will pick up a cone from the beginning of the finishing slalom and put in down next to the next-to-last cone, making it faster-in and harder to end. By the final round (three cones moved), we all - as in the spectators, too - should be in for a real treat.

It's called "spin or win."

- Jtoby

[ June 08, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: jtmcinder ]

A brief update.

It will be only four runs during "qualifying," but we will be having many more people actually make it to Round 1. Thirty people will qualify based on their best PAX time from the morning, plus ten lucky people via a random drawing. Round 1 will use the same course as the morning and will reduce the field to 20. Round 2 will have the first cone-shift and will drop the field to 10. Round 3 will have another cone-shift and drop the field to 5. The final round will be the seriously nasty "spin-or-win" ending.

- Jtoby

ps. The launch light in done and has been tested. For those who haven't heard about this, it's an automated starter. You crawl towards the line until the light turns red. Then you wait for it to turn green and then go. Very cool. And completely fair.

Comment

Originally posted by jtmcinder:
      Thirty people will qualify based on their best PAX time from the morning, plus ten lucky people via a random drawing.
      Not fair for the SP guys.

Comment

Here's my 2 cents: I agree about the PAX idea being unfair to some classes.

Comment

Thank you Toby
          Lawrence

Comment

weather dependent, we may slow down the course if wet.
            Lawrence

Comment

one thing I like about Jacques Villeneuve.

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.h...05064525.shtml

GT28RS Audi A4 1.8T
              http://www.whitea4.com

80 Street Mod
              .. ..

Comment

About the course for Sunday ...

Holy pedal-to-the-metal batman!! Maybe my fat-*** silver bullet will have a chance!

Comment

About the course for Sunday ...

Holy pedal-to-the-metal batman!!
                  Yeah. I was giggling as I drew it up. The theme - as it were - is the absence of any gates. Only offsets and a slalom. Great Walls of Fire.

More seriously, that kind of start is like what is done in ProSolos. It's the other type of SCCA event.

Now imagine picking up cones from the start of the slalom and putting them down next to last single cone (the one with a pointer), making it faster and faster in and slower and slower out.

- Jtoby

Comment

Feel like saying HEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Race Miata:
                      Not fair for the SP guys.
                      Not fair (or at least very difficult) for those of us whose cars suck on drag launches, but it should be loads of fun nonetheless.

--Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Race Miata:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jtmcinder:
                        Thirty people will qualify based on their best PAX time from the morning, plus ten lucky people via a random drawing.
                        Not fair for the SP guys. </font>[/QUOTE]Looks like we'll have our work cut out for us Chris!
                        Swift DB1 Formula Ford - trophy collection machine (co driver)
                        2006 Lotus Elise - daily driver
                        2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 - cycling racer
                        1/4 of a Dodge Neon Chumpcar - because I didn't want to risk saving money.
                        1992 Acura Integra LS - for those other days (or when I need a trunk)

2014 Knox Mountain Hill Climb - King of the Hill
                        2012 Knox Mountain Hill Climb - New record FF1600, 2nd Overall
                        2011 Knox Mountain Hill Climb - Record holder FF1600, 3rd Overall.
                        2011 SCCA National Championship - 3 cars, 2 classes, I have no idea...
                        2010 SCCA National Tour - 1st CM
                        2009 SCCA National Championship - 2nd CM
                        2009 SCCA National Tour - 1st CM
                        2005 Canadian National Champion - CSP
                        http://twitter.com/RiskAce

Comment

Should be a blast despite the fact that you can't do a drag launch with a Triptronic transmission. The timing lights will be new to me and will require a bit of practice.

e
                          "Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them" Marvin the Martian

Comment

This is going to be SO much fun I can't wait!! argh! this friday is just gonna drag by now i can feel it!
                            Swift DB1 Formula Ford - trophy collection machine (co driver)
                            2006 Lotus Elise - daily driver
                            2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 - cycling racer
                            1/4 of a Dodge Neon Chumpcar - because I didn't want to risk saving money.
                            1992 Acura Integra LS - for those other days (or when I need a trunk)

2014 Knox Mountain Hill Climb - King of the Hill
                            2012 Knox Mountain Hill Climb - New record FF1600, 2nd Overall
                            2011 Knox Mountain Hill Climb - Record holder FF1600, 3rd Overall.
                            2011 SCCA National Championship - 3 cars, 2 classes, I have no idea...
                            2010 SCCA National Tour - 1st CM
                            2009 SCCA National Championship - 2nd CM
                            2009 SCCA National Tour - 1st CM
                            2005 Canadian National Champion - CSP
                            http://twitter.com/RiskAce

Comment

The timing lights will be new to me and will require a bit of practice.
                              This isn't a timed launch. The fancy light that we have built is really just a cool way to stage the car - i.e., bring it up to the line in a way that is always fair. When the light goes green, it's just like a person saying "go" or "the course is yours"; the clock doesn't start until the break the start beam (about 10' ahead).

With that said, whatever you can do to be going as fast as possible when you cross the start beam is in your interest.

- Jtoby

Comment

Working...
                              X