NO Canadian F1 in 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO Canadian F1 in 2004

Just watching Wind Tunnel on Speed and they announced no Canadian F1 in 2004. Wondering if this will adversely impact ASN as earlier 90's sponsorship issue did with CASC.

I think it also has to do w/ no more tobacco sponsorship allowed in Canada. Player's has ended their involvement in racing after many years and I'm thinking the teams/sponsors don't see the value in traveling overseas to a place where they can't show their logos.

I remember going to Motegi in '97 for the CART race. Scantilly clad women actually handing out packs of Kool and Marlboro to almost everyone except young children. Now that's a free market society.

I dunno what the world is coming to...it's legal to smoke weed and get stupid. but oh no, we can't have cigarette advertising. This country is really f'ed up sometimes.

-c.

[ August 07, 2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Cliffy ]
    Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
    Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Comment

I think thats really crappy. I don't see what the big deal about tabacco ads is. i don't think that these ads cause anyone to start smoking. maybe they might have been effective 10 years ago but relively few young people smoke now. My Mom told me that when she was young she knew one person her age that didn't smoke. I have two friends that smoke. Most of the people that smoke now are people that started more than 10 years ago. Plus half the brands on the cars you can't even buy in canada.

Comment

If Tobacco is so damned harmfull, ( and I'm not arguing that it isn't ) why don't the Fed's just ban it's sale in Canada? Because they've got no balls is why.

What a bunch of hipocrites. Ban the advertising...but still collect the taxes on the sales. Twits!!

Comment

Originally posted by dov:
          I think thats really crappy. I don't see what the big deal about tabacco ads is. i don't think that these ads cause anyone to start smoking.
          i agree... and i find it a little ironic that they would allow an alcohol company to sponsor such an event... i mean if tobacco sponsorship is supposed to make people want to smoke what does sponsorship of an auto racing event by an alcohol company mean? i do agree that tobacco is more harmful than alcohol though...

Zach
          Zach Wong

VCMC Member since: Once upon a time...

CM - Ford Swift DB-1 (NA94)
          STS - 94 Miata (Fab)
          DS - 04 Lexus IS300
          DS - 01 Chrysler Sebring Coupe
          GS - 94 Dodge Spirit

Comment

Bernie denies it:

http://www.planet-f1.com/Home/story_12628.shtml

DG

Comment

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/am...ada/index.html

hmm CNN seems to say it's gone...

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

so does this

[ August 08, 2003, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Yarko ]
              Swift DB1 Formula Ford - trophy collection machine (co driver)
              2006 Lotus Elise - daily driver
              2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 - cycling racer
              1/4 of a Dodge Neon Chumpcar - because I didn't want to risk saving money.
              1992 Acura Integra LS - for those other days (or when I need a trunk)

2014 Knox Mountain Hill Climb - King of the Hill
              2012 Knox Mountain Hill Climb - New record FF1600, 2nd Overall
              2011 Knox Mountain Hill Climb - Record holder FF1600, 3rd Overall.
              2011 SCCA National Championship - 3 cars, 2 classes, I have no idea...
              2010 SCCA National Tour - 1st CM
              2009 SCCA National Championship - 2nd CM
              2009 SCCA National Tour - 1st CM
              2005 Canadian National Champion - CSP
              http://twitter.com/RiskAce

Comment

Originally posted by Lego Maniac:
                i do agree that tobacco is more harmful than alcohol though...
                Maybe yo your personal health, but look what it does to families and society...

Comment

This also means the chance of getting a WRC event in Canada is slim to none. I'm in the prime smoking age group and have been following racing for years and have never been tempted to start smoking based on some adds on the sides of race cars.

You get more peer preasure to start smoking than from any type of advertising.

Comment

Working...
                  X