UBC/SFU Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBC/SFU Challenge

Held at Feb. 22nd slush series event, what is it all about?
    Thanks.

It's the finale of the Slush series. If I recall correctly, they pax the times of everyone and add up the top ten times of each school (you represent one when you sign up).

I think UBC has won all of them since it has started.

[ February 18, 2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Neon Racer ]

Comment

The UBC/SFU Challenge was started 2 years ago to help encourage some friendly competition between the two Universities. The idea initially came about because we wanted to 'prove' which university had the fastest drivers as well as to encourage some interaction between students from both universities (and also with other autocross competitors). The event now also stands as a grande finale to the Slush Series and is our way of trying to finish the series with a bang.

This is the 3rd year for the event and the scoring will remain the same as it did last year (the first year was scored like Gerald mentioned). The way it works is each University will have a team of 4 senior drivers, a team of 4 novice drivers, and then a team that encompasses everyone who isn't on either the senior team or the novice team. The average index time for each team is calculated and then the various times are compared against each other (UBC_Senior vs SFU_Senior, UBC_Novice vs SFU_Novice etc). The school that wins the most events wins the UBC-SFU Challenge.

We came up with this scoring method because we felt it higlighted the speed of the senior, novice and overall student attendees. We also feel that this method will give equal importance to each groups of students and doesn't make any one group any more/less important than the others.

The other portion of the Challenge is to determine which student from either University is the 'fastest' driver. This is done by taking the top Indexed time from the students in competition and determines the UBC/SFU Champion.

Also note that this event is not exclusively for UBC/SFU students, anyone and everyone can attend, but only current UBC/SFU students (or Graduates from either university) will be used for scoring.

Hope that answers your question.

Comment

To support my old school, I might just come out a little early this year =).

Comment

oh...no~~ :P
          I missed my Neon

Comment

Originally posted by OS2000:
            To support my old school, I might just come out a little early this year =).
            then we might be able to start racing a bit earlier this season.

but too bad, I'm running in C/Mod this sunday.

GT28RS Audi A4 1.8T
            http://www.whitea4.com

80 Street Mod
            .. ..

Comment

what car are you in, Cary?

Comment

Originally posted by OS2000:
                what car are you in, Cary?
                Just Alvin's stock S2000...

GT28RS Audi A4 1.8T

80 Street Mod
                .. ..

Comment

so..who's J's and amuse :P
                  I missed my Neon

Comment

Originally posted by aspenwrx:
                    so..who's J's and amuse :P
                    Just look for the one that's more stable, that's J's. The other one is Amuse.

We can try some "initial D" style too if Paul or Jared allows

[ February 21, 2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Cary Lam ]

GT28RS Audi A4 1.8T

80 Street Mod
                    .. ..

Comment

What can I say amazing weather for February and a course that was easy to remember, fortunately for me because I had lots of other things to think about.

The day started out well Sheldon and I got to the track early, the trailer hitch Sheldon had installed in the dark in the rain didn't fall off of the car, unloaded the car, registered and walked the course a few times. We didn't have to run until the second group, so we had lots of time to get the car ready. I drove the car from the pits to the grid which was going to be all the seat time I was going to get before my first run.

Sheldon was going first to scrub in and warm up the tires and to be able to give me some feedback on the course. Sheldon jumps (squeezes) into the car, blips the throttle a couple of times and say "I broke the car!", then says there is something wrong with the throttle cable.My jaw hits the ground, and my adrenalin levels go through the roof. We quickly pulled the nose off of the car thinking the cable clamp had slipped at the throttle pedal. Nope thats not it so I take the splitter apart at the carburators and find out the factory end has come off of the throttle cable. After a short panic attach, a bit of cursing and some advice from Steve on where to get some soldering equipment Sheldon takes off to buy solder, a torch, some flux etc. (We have at least three of each of these items in our garages at home.)

Fortunately for us there was an incident on track which delayed things for about 1/2 hour by which time Sheldon was back. We quickly soldered the factory end back on the cable and put things back together in grid. By this time I was fairly excited so I said I'll go first. I had to blow off the stress by driving the car.

As I was squeezing into the car Sheldon was quickly giving me lots of good advice which I was forgetting just as quickly. One thing I should have remembered is him telling me you have to position your hands with one hand on the top of the wheel and one at the bottom to be able to turn the steering wheel and change this around depending on which way you are turning.

I stage the car wait a bit and get waved onto course. Things start happening really quickly and I am having trouble getting the car to turn. I get to the big sweeper at the end of the track and try to turn nothing happens the weeds start looking very close and I finally remember to move my hands to the right position to turn and make it around the corner. The remainder of the run wasn't much better so I get out of the car in grid thinking "What have I gone and done, I'm not going to be able to drive this evil beast!" Steve says I looked a little shell shocked.

Sheldon takes his first run and comes in saying he thinks the car is handling funny, we check tire pressures and lower them. I pile back in and go out for my second run on warm scrubbed in tires and remember to move my hands to the right placeson the steering wheel. 56 seconds much better and I am starting to think the car may not be such a beast after all.

The afternoon runs were much better even with a spin. My apologises to the corner workers, I think I scared a few people. Once we get a better feel for the car and work on our seating and control positions a bit more we should be able to drive the car closer to its real potential. The acceleration is quite impressive about 20" feet after you launch the secondary starts to spool up very rapidly and it feels like you have a turbo kicking in.

Stay tuned for future episodes in the mean time we will be back in the shop fixing a few things.

Ernest.
                      "Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them" Marvin the Martian

Comment

So YOU were first, Ernest. I was at station 5 and thought some body work was going to start flying off when you hit some cones and the rear covers came loose.

BTW, did anyone take any pics or video of the silver Miata? My fourth run felt like a drift session or rally after trying to drive with some (ok, a LOT of) aggression. I thought I should have been on the other lot. :P I hope someone has that on video. It felt REALLY slow going around the course like that.

Comment

Hey Ernest my friend took a nice picture of your KGB!

Comment

That is a great shot, as he is driving straight through the Chicago box without turning the wheel. Too funny.

Comment

Didn't expect some many ppl to show up. Close to 100 ppl. Lots of nice cars and new faces + unlimited blue sky. What a day.

First day out for me this season. Can't ask for anything more =). My first and second run were total disasters. The car didn't feel right at all with the 712s and wrong tire pressure. My brake points and entry speeds were totally out of rhythm. Luckily, by the 3rd run, everything goes back to normal. The runs in the afternoon were more interesting, especially when Cary was turning faster and faster times. It's going to be
                              a great year I think. Just too excited =).

Nice to see everyone again.

[ February 24, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: OS2000 ]

Comment

Working...
                              X