2008 NCT 3 Results and Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2008 NCT 3 Results and Feedback

i just thought that the course was in favor for high speed car. if you made a mistake, you could probably made up for it with the power of the car in those almost-straight-ways.maybe it's noobish to say , usually smaller cars could make up time in turns ,and this course has too much WOT area(pretty much if you gambled it, it was WOT entering turn two and straight to sweeper) . those area could mean major time lost for slower cars. i guess this was made up sex for NCT2's super tight course.

BTY, that 510 IS stock? i remember my old 72' wasn't that low and it came with like 5.5" wide wheels or something

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
      i just thought that the course was in favor for high speed car. if you made a mistake, you could probably made up for it with the power of the car in those almost-straight-ways.maybe it's noobish to say , usually smaller cars could make up time in turns ,and this course has too much WOT area(pretty much if you gambled it, it was WOT entering turn two and straight to sweeper) . those area could mean major time lost for slower cars.
      Hi Darrell, I hear what you are saying, there was a fair bit of full throttle for lower powered cars on this course.

I do want to bring up a counter point however, please don't take this as a defensive comment, since I did not design the course. NCT is based on PAX, and I don't think the PAX results agrees with your comments. Take a look at top 10 PAX... 5 Miatas, 2 Pink Panthers, Monster PDM 240, GT3, STI. 3 of those 5 miatas were first gen with no power but all handling.

I think this is a really good mix and should show that the course does not particularly favour high powered cars.

My 2 cents.
      2001 Toyota Sienna (don't ask...)

Comment

This course is all about linking the straights and hitting the markers at the right point. The course had a lot of the basic elements that we learned and practiced from V1 and the first 2 NCT's. This course was not as a high powered course as some would think. Just ask Don. The first left hander was short enough that you had to short shift to second or risk getting squirrly in first. Then the right hander is at full throttle for the lower horsepower cars while the higher power cars had to modulate the throttle until the car was straight again.
        The chute was all about being disciplined and taking the right line. If you hit it right, you were full throttle through there. The end sweeper was very difficult in that there was no markers that limited what lines you could take, as well as markers for where to brake. This is where most novices will either brake too early and have to get on the gas again to go around the sweeper, or brake to late and an "Oh Sh!t" momment. Exiting the sweeper is all about being discipline and taking the right line so you could carry speed towards the salomn.

Good job to all the novices that came out today and to all the fathers that came out and had a great time.
        08 Nike Shox H/S???

Comment

Kevin, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments reference course safety. I observed similar things as well.

Maybe we need to spend a little more time in the driver's meeting on worker conduct when the course is hot. I am only a novice on the autocross scene, but I am a certified racetrack marshall, and worked several Indycar and Porsche TurboCup events back in the day. Some things that could be reinforced include, but are not limited to:

1. Always pay attention when the course is hot.
          2. Always pay attention when the course is hot.
          3. When the course is hot, NEVER turn your back on a car. Inside positions can have a tough time with this one. Your head needs to be on a swivel.
          4. Radio calls: Identify the workstation calling in, reason, car involved (be specific, lots of similar cars out there!). For example: Workstation two, One cone, Silver S2000.
          5. Flagger hold the flag at the ready to be waved, not rolled up. A red stick is not nearly as effective as a waving red flag.
          6. Don't be afraid to ask for a car to be held to clear debris off the race line. No one wants crap imbedded in their nice R-comps.
          7. As a worker, YOU are in the best position to keep you safe. Live to race and work another day. Some of the cars are incredibly quick, and the closing speeds are often faster than you think. Make smart choices out there.
          8. Enjoy the event, have lots of fun, and be careful!

I know some of these points are gone over in the pre-race meeting, and I included the obvious stuff here. I also believe it is important for novices to be accompanied by more experienced folk, so they can be shown the ropes, and learn about safety on the course while working.

That`s all I can think of right now, I have to scoot for work.

Again, great event, very well run, we can maybe tweak it a bit in terms of keeping it fun and safe!

Darrin
          Darrin Linders
          1985 EP Honda Civic

Comment

I think the course was a nice balance between power and finesse. The bigger power cars had to actually control power, the smaller power cars had to get on the power early and stay on it. There were a few nice technical elements, and proper line and braking were important. The slalom was very deceptive for me. If I was going to blow a run, it was in that slalom, by going into it too hot from that nice straightaway. It was a course that made you think about braking (or not braking). He who could not lift in that cone chute had the advantage.

A nicely balanced course design Mitch, thank you.

Also Carson, thank you for your dedication. Going home to get your computer to replace a broken one first thing in the morning showed great dedication. And posting results same day. All this after the Saturday TNT. We are fortunate to have a President like you. We could not blame you for being exhausted at the end of that day.

Perhaps a course or briefing for new workers along the lines of what Darrin is saying? There was one worker who ran across hot lines with the car approaching, more than once. No cone is worth a life.

Comment

Originally posted by jäger View Post
              Also Carson, thank you for your dedication. Going home to get your computer to replace a broken one first thing in the morning showed great dedication. And posting results same day. All this after the Saturday TNT.
              Thanks for the kind words Bob, I actually got the easiest task of driving home to get laptop when the team slaving away at registration and setting up timing, doing official course walks etc.

Comment

I'd also like to say thanks to Carson, Mitch and all the other organizers who made NCT #3 possible. I had a blast, and I can't wait until the next VCMC autocross (do we really have to wait until September?).

I absolutely loved that the course had so few cones to direct the drivers, and it made it a lot more challenging to find the right line. As an added bonus, there were also fewer cones to hit, and I don't think I've ever hit so few cones at an autocross.

I would also have to agree with Kevin and Darrin that the course workers weren't very coordinated at this event and might need a little more instruction at the next one.
                Laguna Seca - Home of the Corkscrew and the grave of VCMC pride

Comment

Concurrence on all counts. Another great, if not sometimes confusing, autocross event! Thanks to Carson and the unsung heroes that make this possible for us.

Comment

Kudos to everyone who compensated for the blown laptop in the morning. I think the event ran rather smoothly despite some of those technical issues. Combined with the Test and Tune the day before and the terrific weather, I had a fantastic (if not energy-draining) weekend.

In terms of feedback, I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned that could be improved is driver awareness while in grid. I guess we can all get wrapped up in the excitement chatting with friends away from our cars between runs. However, it helps to periodically keep an eye on your preceding lane as they start moving towards the timing tent and to watch the person helping direct grid traffic. Makes for a smoother run and keeps the flow/momentum going, I think?

Anyways, thanks again for a terrific event!

One day, I will catch up to Bill... or at least, his wife.
                    Victor Chow (Elder_MMHS)

Comment

I would like to say that the ELT and all those extra helpers who helped make the event run smoothly did a great job. Preparation for events begins week(s) in advance to when it actually runs. So many factors must be throught through, and everything comes together on the day.

For those who do not have as many positive comments, then I would suggest they come up and speak to the ELT, help put in their input on what could be made better or how they could HELP OUT to make the day run smoothly. We can never have too much help when you are involved in a VOLUNTEER sport. Remember that all us on the ELT are not being paid, that all of us are dedicating our own time to make things run the best we can.

So thank you to all the helpers and ELT, and Mitch for a great course.

Also, that Tabitha Nimi, way to go

Comment

Originally posted by Sead View Post
                        Kibble is back!? About time you came back out again Steve!
                        Yep, and Peter too. We have some friends coming to Velocity on July 5th, so we thought it would be good to see if we could remember how to autocross before we try instructing it.

Great to see VCMC doing so well. Event quality is obviously high, so ELT and volunteers are all doing a good job.

Great course Mitch - nice to have options about course line and enough space to get it wrong.
                        Steve Kibble
                        Now residing in Victoria.
                        My mobile marketing blog:
                        http://3rdscreenmarketing.blogspot.com

Comment

For my first time to an AutoX event, it was awesome. So many nice cars out there and a hell of a lot of fun racing the course. Simple but technical sums it up. Looking forward to the next event. Good Job everybody.

Comment

http://www.vcmc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8232

Just a quick reminder, we have a social coming up this weekend, VCMC is a fun social bunch and we would love to see you guys come out, I promise we won't ONLY talk about cars and racing.

Comment

Originally posted by NateRice View Post
                              For my first time to an AutoX event, it was awesome. So many nice cars out there and a hell of a lot of fun racing the course. Simple but technical sums it up. Looking forward to the next event. Good Job everybody.
                              hey, you didnt stay for the afternoon run! i was expecting to see more X runner action(my dream truck) you were pretty quick with that beauty. 33 sec . it's possable to shave another second or 2 off if you stick tighter at the sweeper

Comment

I enjoyed the course the end sweeper was very hard to get right I never did get it just the way I would have liked. The second (diagonal) crossover after the start required picking the right line way before you got there as you were going through the preceeding gate and being commited to staying in the gas

I would like to see a longer course next time out, which will likely require a double loop around the course to get the course into the 40+ second range.

Ernest.
                                "Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them" Marvin the Martian

Comment

Working...
                                X